Kingfish- Live Bait Rigs

rjc123

Hey raiders,

When using live yakkas/slimies for Kingfish what are the best rigs? ie: Yakka suspended under a float or yakka fished on the bottom (what leader length, hook size etc...) I will be fishing in about 10 meters of water anchored up burleying (waiting for the fish to come to me). Just sitting on the fence about having my bait on the bottom or under a float... Any opinions/info would be great! :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Why not try both. You will cover more of the water column. Let the floating yakka drift in the burley trail and the other just off the bottom.

Not that I'm an expert. But most of my research suggests that you should cover as much of the water column as possible.

I have soaked live yakkas with no hassles using a simple running sinker rig with about 1-2 m of leader from the swivel (sinker above the swivel of course). Drop it to the bottom and wind up a meter or so.

But having said that, the rats always seem to prefer the fresh squid strip. Figure that? The strip must look like an easier feed.

Good luck I hope u get them. I have yet to land a legal king.

Personally I have never caught one in top water though I have seen them cruising in the upper levels. most I have caught have been in the lower few metres of water. When you rig your livie on your 4/0 - 6/0 hook go through the lower and upper jaw of your slimey, I get alot of good hookups like that. I seem to lose more livies without hookups when gone through the back of the bait either in front of or behind dorsal fin. Good luck.

Can't beat unweighted but with a current and the kingies being mostly 3/4 the way down it makes it near impossible so just a little sinker and if ur on a boat wind a few times to keep ur bait just off the bottom

Thanks guys, i'll take a float rig with me but maybe fish one right on the bottom (30-50cm leader) for flatties/jewies and have one with a longer leader hoping for salmon/bonito/kings..

Cheers, Tom