Plate Alloy Boat made from Boatkit

macmac

Hi,

Just curious if any fishraider member here got plate alloy boat made from boatkit? If yes, did u weld it by yourself and assemble the outboard and other parts to the boat? I'm asking this question coz only realise recently that u can weld your own boat using some manufacturer's boatkit. I'm quite confident to my mig welding skill but just not sure how complicate to read the drawings of boatkit as i'm quite new to boating (still a lot of unknown boat terminologies). Also is there any formula on how to position and install the outboard? Is it free installation if buying new outboard from dealer?

Just thinking to get a set of boatkit and do the welding by myself.

Cheers,

Phil

A dealer will charge 1k plus depending on the install and steering type to be fitted

You would want to be very certain of your abilities to weld as you could easily end up with a pile of scrap

It's not just about good welds it's also about heat Managment and not distorting the panels

You also have to manufacture jigs and a holding jig which ups your costs

Hi, as Juggs said you will want to be confident in your welding skills, but if you are then there would be great satification in building your own boat-I have seen some good ones and some bad ones. As for fitting an outboard yes there is skill needed there and no a dealer might say they are doing the install for free, but as the saying goes nothing in life is for free. We charge from $600 to about $800 depending on HP and style of boat on top of the price of the outboard-of course we could just add that amount to the price of the outboard and say you are getting it free, but trust me your are not.

What size and style of boat kit are you thinking about?

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

ive never heard of boats in kit form untill i read this thread i done a google search and see some prices :1yikes: 10g for a 4.2m center console u can buy one the same size for 15g with a motor and trailer ready to hit the water

There's a tonne of difference between a pressed jobbie from telwater and a well designed plate boat like a jb or others

Generally for the same length you get more hull depth and more v along the hull and a lot stronger built with more features

My mates 5.2m Joshua boats center console shits all over tinnies the same length for ride and deck space

Edited by Juggs

A dealer will charge 1k plus depending on the install and steering type to be fitted

You would want to be very certain of your abilities to weld as you could easily end up with a pile of scrap

It's not just about good welds it's also about heat Managment and not distorting the panels

You also have to manufacture jigs and a holding jig which ups your costs

Thanx for advice. I'm not too worry about the welding process. I'm just not too sure the procedures and sequences. Usually i will make welding test to different thickness of material before i proceed to the work. My main concern is how to flip the boat to avoid overhead welding for consistent welding and im thinking how to manage it in my carport.

Yeah u right for the jigs. Some suppliers may include the jigs in boat kits but u need to pay extra. They even supply u instruction DVD or manual for assembly of boat.

Hi, as Juggs said you will want to be confident in your welding skills, but if you are then there would be great satification in building your own boat-I have seen some good ones and some bad ones. As for fitting an outboard yes there is skill needed there and no a dealer might say they are doing the install for free, but as the saying goes nothing in life is for free. We charge from $600 to about $800 depending on HP and style of boat on top of the price of the outboard-of course we could just add that amount to the price of the outboard and say you are getting it free, but trust me your are not.

What size and style of boat kit are you thinking about?

Cheers,

Huey.

I'm after 6 metre walkaround with hard top for offshore fishing. It needs 150hp outboard according to their spec.

ive never heard of boats in kit form untill i read this thread i done a google search and see some prices :1yikes: 10g for a 4.2m center console u can buy one the same size for 15g with a motor and trailer ready to hit the water

That sounds too much. The one i'm after will cost me $13,000 plus outboard but 6.1 meter walkaround with hard top.

I'm after 6 metre walkaround with hard top for offshore fishing. It needs 150hp outboard according to their spec.

Hi, sounds like a great boat if the design is right but be warned HT plate alloy boats can be notoriously wet, unstable (both on the run and at rest) and if the entry, shoulders, stem line and deadrise are not right can be down right dangerous. Any name of these plans because I may of heard or been in one. Yes it would perform well with a 150HP.

For what it is worth and a guide for you, Stacer released to us dealers a proper plate alloy 6.5M boat a few weeks ago and trust me when Telwater decide to do a plate alloy boat they do it right and this Ocean Ranger was a very impressive boat with alot of STD features and a great ride from a 19 degree deadrise. The boat only price with Hyd steering, trim tabs, plumbed live bait tank, kill tank, 160L fuel tank, alloy HD rod rack and more is only $30K so what sort of figures is this kit costing plus you will need to add about $10-$15K for all the "add on" bits that I am sure this kit will not come with.

If you decide to go ahead I wish you well and keep us posted on the build.

Cheers,

Huey.

PS-I see where you have replied with the price of $13K, but what does that get you, is that the boat in flat pack form and you need to add everything else from steering syste, fuel system, electrical system and more plus your time?

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi, I have some more photos I took a few weeks ago if you are interested PM me with an email but I found this on a press release.

Food for thought and 5mm plate with proper substructure is what she is made with and I water tested it offshore from Jumpin bar in some pretty nasty weather and it rode very very well.

Cheers,

Huey.

post-391-068146500 1333162640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Guest Aussie007

are there any plans or pre cut kits for small tinnies? i wouldnt mind having a crack at something cheap if it worked out and floats i would sell my boat and invest in a bigger kit i read somewhere the saving is around 50% of buying a new boat already built :1yikes:

are there any plans or pre cut kits for small tinnies? i wouldnt mind having a crack at something cheap if it worked out and floats i would sell my boat and invest in a bigger kit i read somewhere the saving is around 50% of buying a new boat already built :1yikes:

Hi Gazza,

I'm still doing the cost planning of the boat i'm after. I'm being told by boat kit supplier to read their drawing plans so what I see in plans what are included. I'll pm u some supplier that i'd enquired. So far, I'm still not decided whether to go ahead or not as it sounds the price of new stacer ocean ranger is reasonable if it is a true plate alloy boat.

Cheers,

phil

Hi Gazza,

I'm still doing the cost planning of the boat i'm after. I'm being told by boat kit supplier to read their drawing plans so what I see in plans what are included. I'll pm u some supplier that i'd enquired. So far, I'm still not decided whether to go ahead or not as it sounds the price of new stacer ocean ranger is reasonable if it is a true plate alloy boat.

Cheers,

phil

Hi Phil, trust me mate it is a true 5mm plate alloy boat and the boys at Telwater would know more about alloy boat building then 99% of people in this industry-let alone most home handy man . I have one on order that is due around mid June so swing by then and have a look.

The facts are you do not get to be as big as Telwater are without building good boats and when they decide they are going to build a plate boat to compete with the lesser brands they do it right and you, the end user gets the benefit of a company that has been in business a very long time and will not fold half way thru your build-contact alot of other plate builders and they want big deposits and part payments before you see the boat and I have heard many stories of people left without boats. The Stacer will have things that I mentioned before that lesser brands do not have and if you are building your own cost a fair bit to add.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

how hard is it to weld aluminum with the correct mig welder? ive welded with a mig welder a few years ago i welded half a car together that stayed together when my sister done 50kph over a speed hump without thinking :1yikes::biggrin2:

how hard is it to weld aluminum with the correct mig welder? ive welded with a mig welder a few years ago i welded half a car together that stayed together when my sister done 50kph over a speed hump without thinking :1yikes::biggrin2:

I for one think it is pretty hard to make a structure out of alluminium that can survive offshore and I would not be able to do it personally. I know for a fact I would not want to take my family and friends offshore in a boat made by just anyway because unlike a car, if it breaks you can not just walk home.

If you are confident in your skills and you have the right equipment then go for it.

Cheers,

Huey.

if you saw the quality of the welds on my 385 explorer not hard at all

a decent built and fitted out plate boat will cost more then a extruded jobbie from the major players

Edited by Juggs

Hi, I have some more photos I took a few weeks ago if you are interested PM me with an email but I found this on a press release.

Food for thought and 5mm plate with proper substructure is what she is made with and I water tested it offshore from Jumpin bar in some pretty nasty weather and it rode very very well.

Cheers,

Huey.

post-391-068146500 1333162640_thumb.jpg

Hi Huett,

Aluminium checkered plate decking is part of standard feature as shown on the photo?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Huett,

Aluminium checkered plate decking is part of standard feature as shown on the photo?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil, yes that photo is STD and does not show things like trim tabs, large underfloor tanks, the excellent hull with deep vee, reverse chines, great stemline and broad shoulder that make it ride so well offshore. The boat I have on order has all this plus deck wash, bimini with clears, removable lounge, cabin cushions and more.

Cheers,

Huey.

As what I know, u can only save the labour cost for doing the welding part as they sell the kit not that cheap (actually quite expensive). However, the labour cost of welding is the biggest portion of the boat building. For instance, the one i'm after (6.1 walk around) could cost u more than 15K just to finish the welding stage and polishing of the boat by the service of boatbuilder (this is what cxx mxxxxx quote). There r still so many stuff not included such as hydraulic steering, live bait tank, kill tank, seats, back door, navigation light, painting, trailer etc. If added up, quite a big sum. A lot of things to consider thats why i need to create a detail cost planning.

Phil

And in the end you have a boat that will be labeled home made in the rego papers

Resale value will be low, if you pick a company to weld it for you

Pick someone with a reputation in the boat industry so you can move it on easier

• 1 month later...

if you saw the quality of the welds on my 385 explorer not hard at all

a decent built and fitted out plate boat will cost more then a extruded jobbie from the major players

would u mind to send some photos of your self welded boat?

Cheers, Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, we have had the plate alloy Stacer 649 Oceanranger come in and we have rigged her. I have attached some photos and trust me in the flesh it is even more impressive. The latest Club Marine magazine has a write-up about the new range of Stacer boats and in their testing of the Stacer 649 Oceanranger the writer said he has never been in a softer riding plate boat and Club Marine do tend to test alot of hulls. I for one have been in most of the plate boats that are made today and the Stacer 649 Oceanranger with its true DEEP VEE 19 degree hull is very good and even better when comparing standard features, pricing and back-up. The biggest problem with plate construction is the builder will NOT be the size of Telwater and as such you have the worry if the builder will still be around to finish your hull or service it.

Anyone looking at a plate alloy hull should do themselves a favour and check out this Stacer.

Cheers,

Huey.

post-391-081052900 1339987508_thumb.jpgpost-391-032433300 1339987519_thumb.jpg