Battery size

rockfisherman

How much do you want to spend? The cranking current for a 25HP is comparatively low, unless its a direct injection or EFI motor (which are voltage sensitive when cranking) so a smaller size battery would be ok if you want to save money. I would be sizing the battery based on the engine makers specs and the load you may want to draw from it and then buy a genuine deep cycle battery.

Here is some useful info: http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1

If you don't use your boat much then take the battery out and keep it charged or else you'll wind up replacing it more often than necessary.

I don't use my small boat often enough so I buy second hand batteries from motor wreckers for $30 or so. In my big boat I use only the best batteries I can afford and they last for years (thousands of $).

Hi raiders

I need to purchase a battery to start my 25hp outboard and don't know which size would be adequate. I have lights also which are led so they don't draw much.

Thanks, fishingphase.

Hi fishingphase, will your outboard be charging the battery?

If you do overnighters with lights, bait pump, sounder etc running I would suggest a (century) NS70M battery. Overkill for starting your 25hp but will give you plenty of reserve for accessory run time.

If you mainly want it for starting and don't plan on running many accessories for longish periods of time and also want to keep the weight down then go for a D23RM (century) battery.

Guest Aussie007

Thanks for all your input guys, I ended up going for a small car battery from repco.

i run a ford/commodore size car battery in my boat i havent had any problems that people speak of using the car batteries on the water mine has worked fine for about 3 years now during winter i just look at the glass window if its showing white i charge the battery or else it gets charged once every couple of months without using the boat when i do use my boat the battery gets a good charge been out 3 times in the last week so when u run your engine make sure its hooked up to charge your battery but one thing u need to be careful is they are not deep cycle i run nav lights anchor light and a fish finder i find if i sit for 3 hours the voltage on the fish finder shows around 11v so if u do all nighters invest in a deep cycle or twin battery set up so u know your engine will start when u need it to but most 25hp engine these days come with pull start or starter rope and a pull start flywheel

i wouldnt recommend deep cycle for that size motor as you would never charge it to full capacity... Marine batteries are named that for a reason. sure you might get by with a car battery to replace your existing one but they arent built for saltwater use, shock, vibration and importantly discharge from ancillary devices such as lights, fishfinders, bilge pumps. bait tanks etc.. A basic marine Battery is not much more than a car battery so for mine its a no brainer.. you choice for course though.. just remember to keep any battery fully charged when not using the boat so you dont kill it too early and have to row home after a day out...

i wouldnt recommend deep cycle for that size motor as you would never charge it to full capacity... Marine batteries are named that for a reason. sure you might get by with a car battery to replace your existing one but they arent built for saltwater use, shock, vibration and importantly discharge from ancillary devices such as lights, fishfinders, bilge pumps. bait tanks etc.. A basic marine Battery is not much more than a car battery so for mine its a no brainer.. you choice for course though.. just remember to keep any battery fully charged when not using the boat so you dont kill it too early and have to row home after a day out...

I have the added bonus of pull start.