Mounting a burly pot

Plumb

Hi all, to windy to fish today So I'm finally going to mount my burly pot,

I'm not to keen on drilling 4 holes through to fix it with bolts.3aad5033-7b09-d100.jpg would some ss self tappers be ok into the fiberglass? I'll need to obviously pre drill and bog with sicaflex

Or is their a better way, possibly just sticking the brackets direct with some type of two pack???

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To do it properly you should be using a timber block between the hull and bracket and then an oversized block on the inside. I would then drill and bolt using a good amount of sixaflex between each layer and you will have completely sealed the bolt holes and enough packing to spread the load over a larger area.

Definitely don't just use screws - use bolts that go right through the hull, some nice stainless ones for preference.

It's not like that part of your transom is under water all the time - like you said, plenty of sikaflex will keep it watertight.

the proper way is too drill oversized holes

fill the holes with a resin talc or microbead mix

smear the bolts with Vaseline and then place them in their final resting place in the holes

when the resin mix dries the Vaseline stops the bolts getting stcuk and forms a thread

this will stop any water ingress into the core of the transom

the proper way is too drill oversized holes

fill the holes with a resin talc or microbead mix

smear the bolts with Vaseline and then place them in their final resting place in the holes

when the resin mix dries the Vaseline stops the bolts getting stcuk and forms a thread

this will stop any water ingress into the core of the transom

where to you get it A boating store starting with W? , I'd like to do it the proper way but other holes in the boat seem to be just drilled and sicaflex'd up , I'd still need the timber block for spreading the load right?

Hi all, to windy to fish today So I'm finally going to mount my burly pot,

I'm not to keen on drilling 4 holes through to fix it with bolts.3aad5033-7b09-d100.jpg would some ss self tappers be ok into the fiberglass? I'll need to obviously pre drill and bog with sicaflex

Or is their a better way, possibly just sticking the brackets direct with some type of two pack???

Cheers

I really try to avoid drilling holes into my boat. You never know when you will change your mind and move something. Once you drill a hole it there forever.

If you do not want to drill it, Ive had very good success mounting flat items like your bracket with silicone. Use it as a glue and put a reasonable layer and it will be very, very strong. You can stick a block of wood inbetween if you need something to screw into. This is the method I use for my transducer and bilge float switches etc and I can guarantee it wont come off if you prepare/clean the 2 surfaces properly before the silicone.

Edited by Roylo

I really try to avoid drilling holes into my boat. You never know when you will change your mind and move something. Once you drill a hole it there forever.

If you do not want to dill it, Ive had very good success mounting flat items like your bracket with silicone. Use it as a glue and put a reasonable layer and it will be very, very strong. You can stick a block of wood inbetween if you need something to screw into. This is the method I use for my transducer and bilge float switches etc and I can guarantee it wont come off if you prepare/clean the 2 surfaces properly before the silicone.

I thought that, I'm not at all keen to drill 4 holes and the boat... I've mounted heavy mirrors with a few dobs of sicca so I'm pretty sure it will hold.

Might wait till this thread runs its course and check out the options

Cheers

Definately wouldnt mount it just using silicone or sika

Do it the proper way youll probably wont wana move it after youve installed it any

If you do fibre glass isnt expensive at all to repair

Its not going to wreck your boat it was was meant to be installed with bolts thats why it has holes in it?