Live bait

twisty84

I live in Cronulla I want to get some live bait for beach fishing is there any where around here that you can collect livies either cast netting or jigging , I am restricted to land based

Any help would be appreciated thanks

I live in Cronulla I want to get some live bait for beach fishing is there any where around here that you can collect livies either cast netting or jigging , I am restricted to land based

Any help would be appreciated thanks

cast netting is illegal but bait jigging i think most wharves around cronulla you should be able to pick up bait

Guest Aussie007

try the cronulla ferry wharf just behind the cronulla train station u can get squid and yakkas there just dont fish there during the day as people waiting for the ferry might complain

Guest Aussie007

is it consistent with squid?

it gets over squidded but yeah there are squid there some days there shy u can see the squid as lights were installed a couple years ago

Spooled,

You can still use a rod ie. bait jig with 6 hooks but must be done by hand. Not an electric reel is what they mean I believe.

Dave

that makes more sense! i kinda wondered what 'hand jigging' meant...

sorry for teh misinformation...

Guest Aussie007

Just an added note here too that in Port Hacking you can NOT use traps of any kind. In this case I refer to bait traps but includes any type of trap. This rule is specific to Port Hacking and not all of NSW.

wheres this info i would like to read it post a link if u can

Just an added note here too that in Port Hacking you can NOT use traps of any kind. In this case I refer to bait traps but includes any type of trap. This rule is specific to Port Hacking and not all of NSW.

Not quite true. You can still use those clear plastic poddy mullet traps and the like, just not;

"Any method involving the use of the following:

a hoop or lift net,

a hand-hauled prawn net,

a crab trap,

a lobster trap,

a push or scissors net (prawns)."

Link for those interested outlining specific restrictions regarding the Port Hacking My link

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy

wheres this info i would like to read it post a link if u can

pretty sure rules & regs for PH are in here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/329331/Sydney-South-Recreational-Fishing-Guide.pdf

(page 4?)

all rules and regs for NSW are here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/publications

Edited by user1829

it gets over squidded but yeah there are squid there some days there shy u can see the squid as lights were installed a couple years ago

Thanks should give it a go then :biggrin2:

Spooled,

You can still use a rod ie. bait jig with 6 hooks but must be done by hand. Not an electric reel is what they mean I believe.

Dave

Thanks for that :thumbup:

Not quite true. You can still use those clear plastic poddy mullet traps and the like, just not;

"Any method involving the use of the following:

a hoop or lift net,

a hand-hauled prawn net,

a crab trap,

a lobster trap,

a push or scissors net (prawns)."

Link for those interested outlining specific restrictions regarding the Port Hacking My link

Cheers,

Rich

Sorry Mr Squidy, You are correct. I knew traps where banned but wasn't aware of the bait trap exemption. The first link by user1829 to the Primefacts clearly explains it. I was recently invited to fisheries to discuss communication methods and have been reading a lot of there information and the Primefacts information sheets are the best way for area specific data.

Ok you need 2 ingredients for catching livies if you don't want to jig for them.

1) a 2-4L juice bottle

2) a knife

Once you have finished your juice wash out the bottle and remove labels so it is perfectly clear. Take your knife and whilst the bottle is lying down cut an X into the side facing up and push the flaps down (these will act as your fish stoppers). Walk out to shin deep water on an estuary beach or sand flat, put a bit of sand in the bottom of the bottle so it doesn't float away, stick a bit of bread in there, leave it for a couple of minutes, come back and your livies will be in there waiting for you if they are around to begin with.

It is simple and effective and regularly catches me livies ;)

Good Luck.

Luc.