4bs 22/4/12

Guest hawkesbass

Guest hawkesbass

hit up botany bay today with ddaniel land based this arvo armed with fresh cabbage and a kilo off salted pillies and a kilo off school prawns the plan was to burley up the blackfish and fish for them while slowly burleying up the bream we started fishing for the blackfish after burley was out for 1/2hr with the first blackfish landed after 5 minutes this fish went just legal so it was returned to grow bigger then for the next 2 hours the bites were consistant with ten blackfish landed smallest went 25cms with the biggest landed being 34cms we lost some cracker blackfish in the 40cm range to the lower ledge and straightened hooks we kept 6 for the table 1 hour before dark we switched over to unweighted pillies and prawns to try for a bream the first bream bite went to daniel with a 33cm bream landed then i got a wrasse which was returned then daniel got a bream bite set the hook and was clean bitten off then i got a hit and set the hook on a bream which went well on the blackfish gear when landed went 43cms on the bragmat then daniel landed another bream in the low 40cm range which went in the keeper net by this stage the light was fading and the bites kept on coming and so did the bite offs and brickings so with the last light of the day we walked out to the car and went to botany boat ramp to take photos and clean the fish

Cheers trevor65770e93-de30-b4c8.jpg65770e93-de4e-a8f5.jpg65770e93-de70-a2fc.jpg65770e93-dea6-509f.jpg

Good catches there mate. Never caught a luderick before.

Be careful here Formosan... as they say, once you go black you will never go back!

I'll stick to yellow kind if i were you... yellowtail kingfish that is. :biggrin2:

Trung

btw.. great catch of fish you got there hawkesbass!

Hey Trevor,

Very nice bream and some lovely blackfish as well.

I used to fish blackfish for a very long time, years ago.

I gave it up bcos of the trouble from other people - fishos, divers, spectators, etc....

Trung likes to rhyme with:

"Once you go black, you never go back".

But he should consider:

He likes to be mellow and stick to the yellow...

Kings go hard, we all know, but, beware of the donut !

Tony

Sorry Trung - just kidding - I still respect your fishing prowess...

The yare all year round mate they migrate about but can be found in the estuaries and the rocks just depend where they decide to school some spots are predictable whilst others they turn up randomly out of season an example is the thumpers we caught well west of the bridge this year at our usual winter haunt!

Guest hawkesbass

We had the school of blackfish at our feet for a good two hours and dropped more fish than we landed as luderick angler says we catch our blackfish all year round from the rocks and bays some days they are on the smaller side and other days only thumpers are around blackfish are like all fish species they will congregate around the best food sources and once their food source tapers off they will move to a new location

We had the school of blackfish at our feet for a good two hours and dropped more fish than we landed as luderick angler says we catch our blackfish all year round from the rocks and bays some days they are on the smaller side and other days only thumpers are around blackfish are like all fish species they will congregate around the best food sources and once their food source tapers off they will move to a new location

Would it have been the pair of you I was spying on from up top of the container wall? :biggrin2::biggrin2:

No we were further around looking back towards bare island near the lttle beach

Ah missed you two lads then there were acouple guys out the very front near the cyclone mesh fence doing no good!

I was fishing that spot around Xmas and doing very well on cabbage about a quarter the way along the wall from the carpark gates. Have you treid the rocks and old inlet right up in the base of the bay at all? Ca nbe very fgood at times and is a known spawning ground for them.

Might have to catch you out there one day!

Guest hawkesbass

No we have looked at the wall before but i have crook knee and the uneven construction puts me off going down there incase i bugger it up more we are always looking for more spots to try to broaden our options on any given day i will defineately look into the spots you suggested

No we have looked at the wall before but i have crook knee and the uneven construction puts me off going down there incase i bugger it up more we are always looking for more spots to try to broaden our options on any given day i will defineately look into the spots you suggested

Check your PM's

Awesome catch and great report Hawkebass. How were the blackfish biting? Were they timid at all.

I fished the Woolich area west of Sydney yesterday for 5 blackfish on cabbage on the run-up tide. But they were the most timid bites I have come across whilst blackfishing. It was as if they put the cabbage in their mouths and just sat there with it, The water was still pretty brown from the rain though. Have you come across this in that area Royce?

Guest hawkesbass

For the most part the bites were timid and very slow downs but some off the bigger blackfish we dropped the float went straight down and stayed down

Awesome catch and great report Hawkebass. How were the blackfish biting? Were they timid at all.

I fished the Woolich area west of Sydney yesterday for 5 blackfish on cabbage on the run-up tide. But they were the most timid bites I have come across whilst blackfishing. It was as if they put the cabbage in their mouths and just sat there with it, The water was still pretty brown from the rain though. Have you come across this in that area Royce?

Could be a number of things but the one that comes to mind is your are either fishing a little bit too deep and the yare sitting in the kelp and laying on the bait or your are fishing too close to the kelp beds and drop offs and they are doing the same thing, try and burley to keep the fish out off the kelp beds and in open water your downs will improve as will the hook up rate also adjust your depth 6 inches at a time if the downs are proving to be timid. If this fails they are just being plain difficult as they can be! I have come across this many a time in many places s oits not unusual you just need to try something different.

Edited by luderick -angler

Could be a number of things but the one that comes to mind is your are either fishing a little bit too deep and the yare sitting in the kelp and laying on the bait or your are fishing too close to the kelp beds and drop offs and they are doing the same thing, try and burley to keep the fish out off the kelp beds and in open water your downs will improve as will the hook up rate also adjust your depth 6 inches at a time if the downs are proving to be timid. If this fails they are just being plain difficult as they can be! I have come across this many a time in many places s oits not unusual you just need to try something different.

Wow!!!! Thats great insight Royce! I was fishing off the bottom at Woolwich. Quite often I got caught on the kelp. That explains it all perfectly

Cheers buddy.

Excellent explanation Royce, thx for that.............cheers