Does anyone Berley when using SP's

Thumperbream

Just Wondering whether anyone out there uses Berley when fishing with Soft Plastics. In addition does anyone Berley when fishing for flathead, my thoughts were that Flathead sit on the bottom and so too low in the water coloum for berlying to be effective so I have not bothered when targeting Flathead.

Any experience or thoughts appreciated.

Hey Thumper.

Thats sorta a 3 part question.

1. When you are working plastics or even hard bodies, generally you are moving around/drifting etc etc and letting the lure do the attraction work. You are targeting the fishes likely holding places its a different sort of fishing, all that be said.

2. Off shore even in close to headlands/washes we do burley then throw the SP,s through the trail and end up with really good results, mind you attrition rate on the SP's can be terrible from rubbish fish.

3. And finally yes!!!! flathead respond extremely good to burley. Constantly did that for years in Lake Mac with wonderful results, particularly in a slow moving current. Burley was cooked prawn heads and shells (last nights dinner)mixed with sand to assist a better sink rate. All flathead caught had the tell tale prawns shells in their stomach when cleaned. Bait was not SP's but Lake Mac prawns.

For those interested one of the spots was just north of Pulbah Is in the channel leading up to the drop off.

Diver 1 may also be interested in that, if he is still viewing the site.

Also did saltwater red flies through the burely trail there and also got em on that. Must bottom bounce them.

Water depth was about 15 foot.

There is a bit there to explore so go forth and explore.

Regards

Trapper Tom.

Thanks TrapperTom

Generally I sit near drop offs or need weed banks in estuaries and anchor up and flick plastics around rather than drift. Thanks for the tip concerning Lak Mac. My brother in law lives in Cardiff and when we have gone to Lake Mac, it has been disappointing so we have generally gone over to Stockton and fished successfully in Newcastle Harbour.

Ill give the berley a go when I have my next feed of prawns.

Yes I was wondering that a lot of other fish might get in the way of the flatties when berlying as you have described.

Regards

Ryan