Stanwell Park Beach

aeb870

Hey Raiders,

I went out for a fish last night at Stanwell Park Beach, unfortunately the current was really strong pulling my line instantly to the left again. (I had actually never experienced it this bad until my last 2 beach fishing trips.)

There was no fish caught as I struggled to overcome the conditions, I was fishing from about 4-8pm and the weather was perfect.

I heard lots of good things about this beach, so thought I would give it a shot. Not the best first attempt, but has anyone fished this beach regularly? And normally, how good is it?

What amazed me last night is that there were heaps of fishermen on the beach, especially as we got near the high tide, the beach was fairly packed.

Just wondering if there were any raiders fishing this beach last night? If so, did anyone catch anything worthwhile?

Edited by aeb870

We've been reasonably often (at least once every couple of months), although have been going to Minamurra more lately. Last few outings at Stanwell would always see at least a couple of Salmon, the odd bream, and undersized flathead. Haven't been for an afternoon/evening fish there for a while - would normally go in the morning, and every other trip get a couple of tailor. Haven't had great success when the beach has been very flat (sometimes it can be shallow for a good 50m) or when the current has been really strong - when its like this all you can do is up your sinker, or keep moving until you find a spot where you can hold in the current.

Supposed to be a good Jewfish beach, but haven't caught one there for years.

Scott

Was at stanwell park beach 2 weeks ago during the week,

Caught 2 x salmon and saw other guys there pulling out salmon,

and as mentioned earlier so many undersize flathead there bloody tiny.

The day i was there was no strong current and the sinker was holding.

Previous trip there i couldnt hold same issue you had.

Edited by PowerFisher

Hey guys, thanks for the response.

It was a good night like I said, a bit unfortunate about the current but you can't win every time. A few raiders recommended before that I look at the swell direction, etc when it comes to beach fishing and to be honest I did but still wanted to leave the house.

Well I heard it was a good beach for jews but no luck this time.

Ye I am still doing the hours. <_<

This should be the first time I might try to fish through the cold days, usually by now I would have packed away my fishing gear till later in the year.

I hear you can still get jews throughout Winter

Ye I am still doing the hours. <_<

This should be the first time I might try to fish through the cold days, usually by now I would have packed away my fishing gear till later in the year.

I hear you can still get jews throughout Winter

You can get them in winter, they will be fewer but if caught are usually larger

You can get them in winter, they will be fewer but if caught are usually larger

Just as long as they do exist in Winter, I know i am not just freezing for no reason at all. What other fish is normally caught off the beach in Winter as well? Is it the usual, Salmon, Tailor, Bream, etc.?

I have been there a couple of times over the past month, and never really got anything bar some Salmon and undersized Flathead. I went out last night but got the same conditions as you.

These conditions are terrible, I have never experienced them so bad until I fished Coniston beach and now Stanwell beach.

Just as long as they do exist in Winter, I know i am not just freezing for no reason at all. What other fish is normally caught off the beach in Winter as well? Is it the usual, Salmon, Tailor, Bream, etc.?

These conditions are terrible, I have never experienced them so bad until I fished Coniston beach and now Stanwell beach.

Yeah all the times I have fished Stanwell Park my line has moved quite a bit, I've found Scarborough beach to be alright and caught some decent flathead there. I'm not very fond of beach fishing though.

My only problem with beach fishing is the mess of cleaning up after it when I get home. But I enjoy sitting there in waders and relaxing while casting out big bait for a Jewfish hopefully. Everyone says they catch Bronze Whalers too off the beach all the time and even though that doesn't really interest me, it would definitely be amusing catching my first one of that too.

I have targeted the Jewfish for some time now, and would really love to catch one and the beach seems like an ok place to try.

My only problem with beach fishing is the mess of cleaning up after it when I get home. But I enjoy sitting there in waders and relaxing while casting out big bait for a Jewfish hopefully. Everyone says they catch Bronze Whalers too off the beach all the time and even though that doesn't really interest me, it would definitely be amusing catching my first one of that too.

I have targeted the Jewfish for some time now, and would really love to catch one and the beach seems like an ok place to try.

Hi mate i have fished stanwell for the past 20 years.I have caught alot of big jewies off this beach. The best places to fish on that beach would be the southern end next to the boulders or directly in front of the surf club when the gutter is running there. The way i fish that beach is get there early afternoon and catch my mullet from the creek there either by trapping or by line. Live baiting or big fresh slabs of mullet,squid or bonito fillet are great as well.Use a longer trace for the slab baits and shorten the trace if using live baits. Dont cast out to far from the shore just behind the breakers as Stanwell usually holds deep gutters the fish use to hide right behind the shore dump. Anpther great by catch there is Gummy sharks which taste great. Another great beach is Garie on the southern end,Thirroul beach next to the reef on the northern or southern end.Mate I hope this gives you some insight to stanwell park put in the hours and figure out the pattern mate and you cant go wrong. Cheers

Yeah I really hate the sand, it just seems to get on everything, even stuff I don't use :|

When I was there last night there was quite a few guys on the north end right up near the rocks and same deal to the southern end. I did hear a bit of cheering so they might of got lucky.

Another great beach is Garie on the southern end,Thirroul beach next to the reef on the northern or southern end.Mate I hope this gives you some insight to stanwell park put in the hours and figure out the pattern mate and you cant go wrong. Cheers

Wealth of information there, thanks heaps "mullo up". Got me keen to keep presisting, and the mullet idea is priceless I will take my trap next time. I know where Thirroul beach is so that's another option, and is Garie beach the one in the National Park?

Yeah I really hate the sand, it just seems to get on everything, even stuff I don't use :|

When I was there last night there was quite a few guys on the north end right up near the rocks and same deal to the southern end. I did hear a bit of cheering so they might of got lucky.

I know what you mean, like the sand does get into everything and places you wouldn't imagine. I am only ever concerned about my gear, it's not all that expensive but would still hate to replace it. If that was me catching a Jewie, I don't think you can imagine how loud I would be cheering :yahoo: