Hobie Pro Angler

rjc123

Hey raiders,

looking at getting a Hobie Pro Angler in the not too distant future. I would mainly use it around middle harbour on salmon, tailor, bonnies and school jew. Just have a few questions incase anyone has one or knows about them.

-Do i necessarily need a trailer for one of these or can i attach it to the roof via roof racks?

- Are they user friendly; ie: easy to use on the water, easy to launch, plenty of "safe" storage?

- What Sounder/Fishfinder would be suitable for use on this kayak.

Any other information would be fantastic as i need to know if this suits my "fishing needs" :biggrin2:

Cheers, Tom

I am sure some guys on here actually own Hobies and regularly fish off them so they can probably help more.

I was very interested in these at one stage, and constantly used to use my friends on. My friends one however was the Hobie Adventure, they are longer in length and narrow. More suited for the open ocean, but much less stable than some of these models.

To the best of my ability, some answers to your questions;

Do i necessarily need a trailer for one of these or can i attach it to the roof via roof racks?

We always attached them to roof racks, I have not really seen anyone of them towed yet.

Are they user friendly; ie: easy to use on the water, easy to launch, plenty of "safe" storage?

They are a very easy system, I have heard these models are very stable too and yes there is storage. Usually I have a dry bag that I keep my wallet, etc in and that way if it goes overboard for what ever reason it actually floats.

What Sounder/Fishfinder would be suitable for use on this kayak.

Most models will fit as long as you have a battery pack, there are videos on youtube to assist you.

Here is a few links to youtube videos that can help you more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvnPUJsMEto

Thanks for the help mate, the reason i assumed it would need a trailer is because its 4 meters long. We have a Four Wheel Drive but do you think this is too long for roofracks? Thanks for your help!

I don't see why you couldn't put it on the roof racks. It wouldn't exceed the weight limit on most good roof racks(70kg). But i think you would get a hernia trying to get it up there in the first place. I own an outback and that is about the limit you can get on/off the car by yourself, and thats only 30kg hull weight. The Pro Angler has a hull weight of 50kg.

If it had to be trailered, i would probably buy a tinnie instead.

The storage and stability of the Pro exceeds any other yak i've seen, though i guess you'd expect that with the price tag.

Thanks for the help mate, the reason i assumed it would need a trailer is because its 4 meters long. We have a Four Wheel Drive but do you think this is too long for roofracks? Thanks for your help!

Definitely not too long, we had the Adventure model on the roof rack and I think that model is around 5m+. I have seen Hobies on the top of hatchbacks, so you shouldn't really have a problem.

As said tho, if the Outback weighs 50kg, then that's quite heavy and maybe you should get some assistance loading it on and off the roof racks.

Definitely not too long, we had the Adventure model on the roof rack and I think that model is around 5m+. I have seen Hobies on the top of hatchbacks, so you shouldn't really have a problem.

As said tho, if the Outback weighs 50kg, then that's quite heavy and maybe you should get some assistance loading it on and off the roof racks.

I'll definitely need some assistance with it then. Thanks for your help!

the new pro angler is out very soon, if i were you i'd be looking at that it has got some AWESOME features on it. its also sounder ready so you dont need to drill into the hull at all. its slightly smaller than the current model and slightly lighter. Also the seat on it looks absolutely brilliant. if i could afford one i would get one!

the new pro angler is out very soon, if i were you i'd be looking at that it has got some AWESOME features on it. its also sounder ready so you dont need to drill into the hull at all. its slightly smaller than the current model and slightly lighter. Also the seat on it looks absolutely brilliant. if i could afford one i would get one!

Sounds fantastic! Do you know when that will be out?

im sure there is no problem putting the hobie on racks as far as getting it off, some racks can have a roller attached so you can slide the hobie off the back of your car and straight onto a dolly (or the in built wheel if that model comes with is) then you are only ever lifting half of the weight of the kayak at one time. I load a two person dagger sit-in kayak by myself all the time onto my ute using the method it weighs about 40kg and its easy im sure 50kg shouldn't be a problem

Has anyone heard of anywhere you can find 2nd hand hobies ?

Also anyone got opinions on the native series of pedal kayaks, seems like they have less tricks than the PA but are solid, stable yaks.also like that you can reverse with them

I think i heard around june/july

here's what is on their website... (look at the videos, they do a really good job of selling it haha) hobie PA12

I'll defjnitely have a look at it. Looks similar but the slightly shorter length may be handy with loading it on and off the car! Would i still be able to get the "optional extra" being a livebait tank fitted in on this one?