Heavy Outfit

mhiley

hey raiders,

I am going to get quite a heavy set up for my next outfit. I want to keep the cost below $250 if possible

Would love recommendations on what combo to look at. Also trying to decide between overhead baitcaster reel or just to go with regular spinning reel

I will load it up with 50-60 lb braid, and be chasing kings and big snapper with it, both landbased and from boat (mostly boat)

Cheers for any advice!

Mark

Hi Hiles

$250 bucks will get you an ugly stik, a Shimano Alivio 10000 and braid.

The length if the rod is some thing you have to determine yourself, if I was going to choose 1length I would go for about an 8 footer, but if you ask me what I would do, I'd say...

Spend an extra $100 give or take and get an Alivio 10000, braid, and 2 rods, a 6-7 footer for the boat and a 10 footer for land based stuff.

Fishingphase

Thats a good suggestion for fishingphase. I got a couple of Alivio 4000's for when the non fishos are around and i found myself using them regularly on Bream, Flathead, Snapper and Tailor. Decent drag seeing its so cheap and i have landed flathead to 75cm on it with 8lb mono. The 10000 should handle kings and snapper allright. Obviously, you'll struggle to land the monster kings but having said that, kings sometimes destroy Stella 20000's with 80lb braid! Ugly Stick Should be good also! The alternative could be a shimano baitrunner B series 6500. They cost around $170 but you can get an uglystik for less than $100. Just over budget but still a good option.

Edited by mack attack 79

I just got a shimano bait runner 6500 on a t stick 10-15 kg rod with 40lb braid, to replace a lost tld 25. It should tick all your boxes, I love it, prior I was defonatly an over head man but I'm loving this, at a responsible cost