Gauges causing cancer?

locodave

Hi!

Today when I went to the boat shop I was just looking at boat gauges and as I looked at the packaging it had a sticker saying that:

"This product contains a chemical that is known to cause cancer in america"

Is that on all gauges or just analog ones? How would it cause cancer? Just curious. I doubt it's something serious. Otherwise I am changing my gauges!

Mate I'm a plumber and that sticker is on heaps of potable water valves, all Australian water marked. Its also on heaps of other things you'll find in any mechanical shop. Usually it say " in the state of California" not sure how or why but I guess there must be reason for the sticker.

Personally I'm not phased by it but......... Each to their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally it's on items that have lead but as California is the largest economy of all the USA states any product they deem to have any minute link to cancer it will be labeled

Otherwise it's not allowed to be sold there

Most lures I buy or any of my archery gear has this label

I'm sure you'll be fine unless you have a nasty habit of licking your gauges while waiting for the fish to bite. Oh, and I wouldn't suggest rolling one in paper and lighting it up!

These days according to the "experts" nearly everything causes cancer.... Disclaimer This post may, or may not cause cancer. The author accepts no resposibility for the damage to persons or property that may occur while reading it.

Edited by insomniac92

Hi!

Today when I went to the boat shop I was just looking at boat gauges and as I looked at the packaging it had a sticker saying that:

"This product contains a chemical that is known to cause cancer in america"

Is that on all gauges or just analog ones? How would it cause cancer? Just curious. I doubt it's something serious. Otherwise I am changing my gauges!

Did the gauges have a luminous / glow in the dark dial? If it 'charges up' when you shine a light on it, then it's just a phosphorescent material. More expensive ones that glow all the time use tritium, which is vaguely radioactive. Nowhere near enough to cause problems, but it IS in there. Maybe that's why they put a warning on it.