Peak fishing times

cowan-cowboy

Hi all

From what I have heard some fishos get out their tide charts, check the moon phases and factor in a couple of other variables to work out the best fishing times. On the other hand there is those of us that go when we can get a leave pass.

I thought it we be great if we could all chip in a few theory's / personal experience on the best time to fish we could all learn a lot. I realize it will vary for certain species and locations.

I personally follow the tides and sunset and sunrise, and stay away from fishing right on full moon. I usually get zero on the exact fullmoon, however a couple of days either side has been a lot better catches

CC

Hi all

From what I have heard some fishos get out their tide charts, check the moon phases and factor in a couple of other variables to work out the best fishing times. On the other hand there is those of us that go when we can get a leave pass.

I thought it we be great if we could all chip in a few theory's / personal experience on the best time to fish we could all learn a lot. I realize it will vary for certain species and locations.

I personally follow the tides and sunset and sunrise, and stay away from fishing right on full moon. I usually get zero on the exact fullmoon, however a couple of days either side has been a lot better catches

CC

Good call, as u said depending on the species it will vary. For Jew i find the New moon is far better than the full. From my experience the full moon is totally overated!!! For kings it doesnt matter although shortly they will be few and far between (unless u go outside) Interested to hear what others think on other species... at the momet all i can think of is kings and Jew!!! :wacko:And yeah definately around the tide changes... even better around dusk or dawn. That normally happens around those moon cycles.... Edited by one armed fisho

Jew- Tide change on dusk or dawn is prime. New moon aswell.

Flathead- Second half of the run out or second half of the run in. Moon doesn't matter a whole lot.

Bream- Run in tide. I like a full moon for some reason. Always seem to pic up 1kg+ fish on it :biggrin2:

Whiting- Second half of the run out. Moon doesn't matter too much.

Overall, i would pay more attention to the tides and time of day rather than the moon. Match the ideal tide for the species being pursued and find a time where it coincides with late afternoon or early morning. For some (Jewies, Bream) night can be great too!

What about the wind?

Does anyone chase a particular species when a certain wind blows? Maybe it stirs up the bait in your fav whiting spot or calms the seas togather some bait of the rocks

Cc

After Heavy storms, wind, rain etc the Bigger jewies come out to play. Up the north coats people crowd the breakwalls at the entrance to rivers as they soak a livie or chuck out a big sp/hardbody. We don't have too many breakwalls down here but these conditions should still stir up a bite. Also, mullet ABSOLUTELY hate the wind. Don't bother with them at times like these, even for poddies in the bait traps...

at the moment, my mate and I are working on the theory that kingfish, in deep water, bite best around a new moon on a rising or falling tide (ie not at high tide or low tide). Seems to have been the case in March and April. Next Sunday is the next new moon, but I can't get down to the coast until Monday evening. Forecast looks good.

Hopefully the winter fishing isn't too bad

I hope so too... Last winter all I could manage was Barracuda's (manky night fish) offshore. Not a fan of them, they make a mess of your terminal tackle. My poor Rapala will never be the same hehehe.