Reel for 6-8kg Silstar Crystal Blue

rjc123

Hey raiders,

need to upgrade to a new reel for my 6-8kg rod. I use this setup for trolling and livebaiting. Had a look around and found a few options:

- Shimano Spheros 6000; $185

- Okuma Salina 11 5000; $199

- Shimano Baitrunner B 6500; $169

- Abu Soron STX 60; $150

- Pflueger Crank 50; $169

Any other suggestions for under $200 would be great!

Cheers, Tom

I haven't used all of those but the Baitrunner and Spheros are both top notch reels. I have been on a bit of a spending spree myself lately and bought 5 new outfits for various types of fishing for when I get my new boat and my local tackle shop has the Okuma Salina SAF55 currently on special for $139 which was one of my purchases. It would certainly suit your needs. If you're interested let me know and I can PM you details.

Hi Mate

I have the same rod, and matched it to a Daiwa Heartland 3000, this reel 8kg drag better than the daiwa sol. I know there expensive reels 340 but i picked up mine from ray and annes for $200 not sure if there still around. but the lightest combo ever the reel suits perect. I caught a 75cm kingfish on it with ease.

Its hard to choose. The Okuma Salina 2 5000 has generous line capacity and 13kg of drag! Matched up with 30lb braid, you can stop some big fish with it! The Spheros is still in the back of my mind though!

Not familiar with the Silstar 6 to 8kg Crystal Blue rod but cant help thinking a #5000 size reel with 12 kg drag and 30 lb braid would seem a better match for a slightly heavier rod ? Could be just me.

Cheers Blood Knot

Hey raiders,

need to upgrade to a new reel for my 6-8kg rod. I use this setup for trolling and livebaiting. Had a look around and found a few options:

- Shimano Spheros 6000; $185

- Okuma Salina 11 5000; $199

- Shimano Baitrunner B 6500; $169

- Abu Soron STX 60; $150

- Pflueger Crank 50; $169

Any other suggestions for under $200 would be great!

Cheers, Tom

I know you want to spend up to $200 maximum, but IMO its well worth spending that little bit extra and get a 4500 Saltist. This reel is almost like the old Saltiga but has less bearings and is not gearbox sealed. Awesome strong reel for the money that will last... You may even find it for $200 if you look around.

Out of the reels you said though, I would get the Shimano Spheros.

Edited by Roylo

Not familiar with the Silstar 6 to 8kg Crystal Blue rod but cant help thinking a #5000 size reel with 12 kg drag and 30 lb braid would seem a better match for a slightly heavier rod ? Could be just me.

Cheers Blood Knot

I agree the silstar crystal blue rods are very light rods and just for the balance of the rod a lighter reel with good drag is more than sufficent as the rod will not be able to take advantage of the heavier reels with 12KG + drags you most likely will only use half there power.

Edited by PowerFisher

I agree the silstar crystal blue rods are very light rods and just for the balance of the rod a lighter reel with good drag is more than sufficent as the rod will not be able to take advantage of the heavier reels with 12KG + drags you most likely will only use half there power.

I was thinking that for a while... Maybe a Saros 4000 with 7kg Drag would be better? It can take a 4000 comfortably because thats what i have had on it for a year or two now. If it would be used for light live baiting and trolling for small kings, tailor and salmon then how heavy should the braid i use be? 20lb? 25lb? 30lb?

Personally I would be thinking more 20lb than 30lb - as this may make the outfit a little more versatile, however its down to your individual preference.

I use a 5 to 10kg T curve spin rod with a 2500 size Daiwa Certate (8.8kg Braid). Can troll lures, throw sluggo's or surface poppers at Kings and use for live baiting.

Up your leader weight if your want to live bait Kings in close to structure (that's unfortunately where they usually like to be). You are not going to be able to stop the real hoods but thats not what your talking about doing.

Cheers

Blood Knot

I was thinking that for a while... Maybe a Saros 4000 with 7kg Drag would be better? It can take a 4000 comfortably because thats what i have had on it for a year or two now. If it would be used for light live baiting and trolling for small kings, tailor and salmon then how heavy should the braid i use be? 20lb? 25lb? 30lb?

As long as you can fit around 200-300 yards of braid on the reel, putting on any of the 20/25/30 lb would work fine with the setup as the braid breaking capacity is alot higher than its stated but usually alot of people are putting higer braid strengths not due to the pulling power but just that extra abrasion resistance with a thicker line.