Port Kembla Hill 60 and the break wall

elferoz777

Hi Guys,

Having fished the break wall int the with limited success I am planning to to hill 60.

Is there a "preferred" side or spot there or is it pretty much ok in general regardless?

Regarding the break wall is there a better side to fish from there (I mean closer to the coal terminal or closer to maritime services office)?

Looking to hit it up early Friday or Saturday morning and could to with a heads up.

Thanks

El Feroz

In regards to the breakwall, the one near the coal terminal is normally better as it's more convenient to fish. You will notice the one near the Maritime service is heaps higher from the water, with rocks/boulders in the way.

With the breakwall near the coal terminal, generally if you cast out on the ocean side you will notice that the ocean floor is sandy all the way till the breakwall starts to take a bend. After that it becomes rocky so be prepared for snags if you fish the bottom (unless you can cast far), in saying that I still like to fish the bottom even in the rocky parts. If you go right to the tip of the breakwall and cast into the entrance of the port, there is usually a mixed bag of fish to be caught there and it's usually fairly good if you can grab a spot.

What type of fishing do you do?

At hill60, from the carpark, climb down in front of the carpark then walk around to the left side until ypu reach the point/corner. just be very careful. the waves wil come up at high tide and when there is a big swell. go there during weekdays. Forget the weekends. The spot gets pretty busy and you will be fishing shoulder to shoulder with other fishos. i usually bring two rods. one for spinning one for bait. i always bring a block of pilchards for bait n use squid skirt on float for spinning.

The northern breakwall (the one near the coal terminal) is a lot better to fish than the southern wall. Cast out into the ocean side with pillies and you should get salmon,tailor and bonito Hill 60 is also good producing the above mentioned species plus kingies but can be dangerous so be careful

In regards to the breakwall, the one near the coal terminal is normally better as it's more convenient to fish. You will notice the one near the Maritime service is heaps higher from the water, with rocks/boulders in the way.

With the breakwall near the coal terminal, generally if you cast out on the ocean side you will notice that the ocean floor is sandy all the way till the breakwall starts to take a bend. After that it becomes rocky so be prepared for snags if you fish the bottom (unless you can cast far), in saying that I still like to fish the bottom even in the rocky parts. If you go right to the tip of the breakwall and cast into the entrance of the port, there is usually a mixed bag of fish to be caught there and it's usually fairly good if you can grab a spot.

What type of fishing do you do?

I mainly fish the bottom.

I have recently taken an interest in the surface and want to try it out at Port.

I am interested in learning how to get the bigger more challenging fish rather.

I normally fish at Sandon Point,MCauleys and behind Bulli surfclub.

I am not sure anymore regarding the closing times as I am no longer a regular there, but usually after 6am on the weekends it will be open. I have also been kicked out after 7pm also on the weekends, so generally if it's daylight fishing you are after then you should be alright.

In terms of the rig, here is a simple diagram to help you out. I usually use another swivel about the float instead of a stopper, and you can use any hook setup you would like. I either use 2 hooks or a gang hook with full or half pilchards as bait.

post-15508-088255100 1337256413_thumb.gif