Bream Comps

Grantm

Hi all,

Me and a mate are thinking of having a crack at the Bream comps down the track ( when we get a bit better ) and I was wondering if anyone can answer some questions.

Do you need to be an ABT member for ALL bream comps or some open ?

What is the format for a comp ? ie do you fish as a team or individuals ?

I have seen the boater / non boater classification used in ABT COMPS. Can a boater choose a partner or is this selected by the comp organisers. Obviously as a newbie going in as either, it might be a bit intimidating with a stranger perhaps.

Are there team events out there, Swoffa's post looked like that I think ? I know we would feel more comfortable starting out fishing these comps together.

Is there a listing of comps available ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers :biggrin2:

I love it when you type a lengthy reply and your PC decides to freeze up :1badmood:

All ABT qualifing events are a randon Boater Nonboater draw. These are a great way to meet new people and learn a few new tricks while you are at it. The first one I fished was a bit daunting but they are a great bunch of blokes and 99.9% will always help out a new comer where they can. It may pay to fish a couple as a nonboater just to get a feel for them.

The ABT alos run a "Classic" event. These are run under the ABT banner but do not let you qualify for the GF. These are a teams event held at a few differnt locations around the state. This is what Swoffa, Ko-i, Byron and Dave fished at Sussex.

The other option is the Pro Bream events. You can get more information from their web site HERE. In these events you can fish with your mate but you are still fishing against him. These are a bit more laid back but still very competitive. The format is similar to ABT but you fish 3 session over 2 days and can only weigh a max of 2 fish per session.

Lastly you can get involved in the Ausbream social days. Its just a bunch of blokes that get together once a month to see how they fair against each other. No entry fee, no prizes but they sound like a great day. These are usually in Sydney.

Jump in to it mate you will have a ball.

Thanks boys.

The more laid back the better for me, ill check out the probream for starters.

I fished last years Roseville day which was good but havent managed to make another since. Must try to get to some more of these.

Just looking to have some fun but compete at the same time and improve my skill.

Thanks once again :biggrin2:

Hi Grant,

I made the plunge and went in my first Pro Bream comp last month. I had a great few days (although catching bugger all Bream.) It was a great experience and organised very well. I mainly entered to see just how far behind i am in the world of SP Bream chasing, and it was a great leveller. The other main reason was to give me the opportunity to fish other waters except my standard haunts. I can only improve!

LW

Guest fishrunner

Hi Lightweight,

went to probream site,-very interested in this style of comp. Couldn't find info reguarding livewell size and wether insulated livewells are req'd. I have a 70ltr (approx) well in rear casting platform, but not insulated-keeps 8+ bream alive all day, would this be sufficient,.

thanks brad

In the Pro bream there are no regulations for livewell size, minimum HP, boat length etc. For the live well it is up to YOU to keep the fish alive.

You could get out there in a canoe with an esky if you wanted to. But teh boat MUSt comply with waterways rules and must be safe.