Saturday 19th Sydney report

We picked up our group of 5 single raiders at Rose Bay & set for the bait grounds. With the weather this week improved and the current started running downhill a lot faster than we would have hoped and found finding bait off Sydney difficult. We headed to to the 12 mile & even with a strong current the jackets still were present, after donating a few jigs to the ever increasing lead stockpile we headed towards browns & wider pulling some lures for yellowfin. The radio was full of chatter about the current so we pushed on wider where I had seen the current slowing on the charts. We eventually found the edge and set a trail in perfect conditions. While the boys cubed & jigged we kept a close eye on the temps & current & everything looked great. Around 5 we had our first sounding and landed 1 albie of 10kg then lost another fish while pulling decent string when the leader popped. We then lost another smaller fish when we pulled the hooks at the boat. All fish took jigs again & shows the value of jigging while in deep water. Two weeks ago we jigged a king in 800 fathoms dropping into 100 or so.. you never know what's down there.

Anyway we headed for home at 6pm with nothing else heard on the radio apart from 1 other albie & another 400+ kg tiger shark. The PHGFC boys were having a night out and heard Spicey hook a fish at 6.30pm only to loose it at the boat after 5 hours - an estimated 100kg fish that took a live slimey.

Anyway great to have the boys on board today and hope the boys heading to NZ have a great trip and I hope you get great weather. Special mention to hottyscotty who jigged hard all day and landed the albie, hope the arms are better today!

Anyway with the temps this week dropping again another half a degree we expect to see more fish this week. We will be out Friday & Saturday weather permitting & will post what happens.

Good luck to anyone out this week. Give me a call if you would like to book a day out or if your singles that I can organize a group for.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

Hi Guy's,

I read this post with great interest in regards to the Albacore being caught jigging whilst cubing I gather ?.

I too would like to give jigging for tuna a go and appreciate very much if you guy's can give me some suggested tips on this please.

Being out in very deep water say 200 - 300 fathoms, cubing is taking effect you drop a jig down, but how far down do you drop and start jigging ??

Do you drop say 150 meters and start or just jig say only 80 meters whilst a cubing trail is taking effect.........not sure.

Appreciate any suggested techniques.

Thank You & Regards

Leo

Hi Guy's,

I read this post with great interest in regards to the Albacore being caught jigging whilst cubing I gather ?.

I too would like to give jigging for tuna a go and appreciate very much if you guy's can give me some suggested tips on this please.

Being out in very deep water say 200 - 300 fathoms, cubing is taking effect you drop a jig down, but how far down do you drop and start jigging ??

Do you drop say 150 meters and start or just jig say only 80 meters whilst a cubing trail is taking effect.........not sure.

Appreciate any suggested techniques.

Thank You & Regards

Leo

Leo we use anywhere from 150 - 400g knife jigs depending on the current. We drop into 80 - 100 fathoms and retrieve all the way to the surface. Sometimes we get them deep & they have no cubes in their stomachs other days they hit in 10-20 fathoms and are full of cubes. We always have someone jigging at all times while having other guys cubing. The last 2 seasons we caught plenty of yellowfin & albacore on the jigs. Colour doesn't seem to matter and you don't need to jig like a man possessed. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Damo

Hiya Damo,

Firstly, thank you for your time with details during your busy work schedule, much appreciated.

Understand the cubes in their stomachs at say the 20 - 40 meters with little current, but hooking up deeper and they have no cubes ??, I the suppose they would be blind strikes or would you then be over specific thermoclines and/or already sounder marked fish deeper than say 100 meters or so ??.

Appreciate your further details Damo for me to understand more completely.

Thank You & Regards

Leo

Hiya Damo,

Firstly, thank you for your time with details during your busy work schedule, much appreciated.

Understand the cubes in their stomachs at say the 20 - 40 meters with little current, but hooking up deeper and they have no cubes ??, I the suppose they would be blind strikes or would you then be over specific thermoclines and/or already sounder marked fish deeper than say 100 meters or so ??.

Appreciate your further details Damo for me to understand more completely.

Thank You & Regards

Leo

Leo this is all based on jigging while cubing. Sometimes we mark the fish on the sounder but we find the majority of the time unless its a big patch of albies and they come directly under the boat we see nothing on the sounder. So yes I would say we are blind jigging. Taking into account if you set you gain high enough you can see the jig going down on the sounder and get an idea of what depth your dropping to, you can then allow for the angle of the jig by changing weight or dropping further as it very rarely goes straight down. Because of the angle of the jig often the fish we are hooking haven't even come into sounder range yet!

Last year we did sound patches of fin in 50 fathoms while trolling over the shelf & pulled up and while leaving the lures out we dropped jigs straight into them & hooked up as well.

Cheers

Damo