Barramundi Advice

josamill

Would appreciate any Barra tips......my first trip this weekend. Am heading to Kimberley area out of Kunanurra....Fishing several rivers. Understand a lot of gear will be supplied, but I am keen to take one outfit. I will take an egg beater reel, simply because I don't know how to use a bait caster and don't think i'll pick it up in 3 days.

Keen to know:

Lures: 2 or 3 recommendations

Braided line: What weight?

What leader?

Any advice is very welcome!

Lures: Gold Bomber, Floating X-Rap, Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow

Braid: 20lb

Leader: 40lb mono leader

One thing to make sure is the that you get the twitch right. You have to work the lure hard (twitch twitch) then pause for 2 seconds. They often hit on the pause and it is probably the most important thing when barra luring!

20lb braid

30lb leader

Are you trolling or casting

take a varitey of depths

3'+ & 10'+ in classic barra

Squidgy slick Rig Pro

80mm & 110mm

Drop Bear, Evil Minnow

I can tell you all of these caught me barra from 50cm - 73cm

When casting you need to work the lure as slow as possible with the odd twitch.

cheers

zed

3000 daiwa size or 4000 shimano sized reel, 30lb braid, 50-80lb leaders.

FLT Transam 95mm 19gm brung in by Jackall bros.

Squidge slick rigs in the big size.

4.8" Keitech's impact fat shad's. Rigged weedless for snags or weighted for deep current areas.

Thank you one and all. What a great site this is.......put a question out and within a few hours you have top information. One variance seems to be leader weight suggestions which ranged from 30lb - 80lb. Reckon i'll go with 40lb and GregL i'll think of you shaking your head if I lose a big one.

Here's a question......you're fishing a river for barra during the run off. You can choose either hardbodied lures or SPs, but not both. Which would you choose??

My last trip up to Gladstone barra fishing, it was a tuff one. Out of desperation I dropped leader down from 80 to 30lb and the first bit me off on the strike, second wore through the flurocarbon leader before I could land it. These fish were in the 90cm bracket, so they weren't big fish by any means.....

50lb I find as a good balance but usually only fish 80lb as I want to land a new PB.

We only fish very short leaders around 40-50cm long. The knot never goes through the guides as casting bulky knots causes line fatigue and will break off sooner or later no matter what knot you use. (Im an FG knot fan)

If I could only fish one lure all week for barra it would be the Transam. Use small slow hops off the bottom and make sure it hits the bottom and it will happen.

Upgrade rings (size 4) and upgrade hooks to Gammies size 4 in the heavey guage hooks and take off the tow ring and tie on with a loop knot. Deadly!

Have done alot of Fishing for barra in dams not so much river.

But braid between 20-50lb

leader 40-80lb (depending on the bight, I have even gone down too 20lb, but can become very expensive)

Plastics; Hollow bellies 4-6inch, squidgy slick rigs 100mm or 110mm and squidgy mongrels in the largest size

Hard bods; riedy's B52, jackall hanktuned squirrels, x rap 10 and classic barra

Thanks again. A bunch of cash invested today in the lures and SPs you all recommended. Leaving Friday for El Questro........3 days fishing involving helicopters........i will report back Tuesday. Any barra will be a PB. Very exciting stuff.

Thanks again. A bunch of cash invested today in the lures and SPs you all recommended. Leaving Friday for El Questro........3 days fishing involving helicopters........i will report back Tuesday. Any barra will be a PB. Very exciting stuff.

You'll have a great time mate! Just got back from Weipa (Cape York) a month ago. AMAZING!

• 2 weeks later...

Back from kimberley. Nulla nulla west of wyndham. Fished billabongs from the bank. 78cm, 2 x 75cm, 73cm and stack of 50-65cm all in 2 x 4 hour sessions. All my fish caught on squidgies and gulp sps. Biggest fish in our group 91cm on fly. Thanks for your input.......went with 20lb braid and 40lb fc leader. Caught 12 fish myself but must have hooked 30.............can't they spit a softy. Next time will run a short trace to a treble. There are some fish up there.