Parra River Sat 19th and Thursday 24th

Had two different sessions on the Parra, Saturday with great weather and today with shite. Both days scored good bream nothing huge just low 30's on atomic and daiwa baby cranks, gulps and blades. The highlight of both days was hooking into something a bream rod was not designed to handle, while fishing a blade. On saturday survived the first run by just angling out towards deeper water then doing a few laps of the boat, plenty of head shakes, gaining line then powering back under the boat,again and again until after a good fifteen minutes and what I was thinking was its last long run the hooks pulled :thumbdown: . Devastated I did not get a visual and with some serious forearm pump I headed home :1badmood: . Today same thing happens while hopping the same blade across the bottom my 2000 Sol starts screaming :1yikes: but this time the fish is headed back towards structure. Undo the drag and turn the boat around to give chase, fish does a u turn and goes back under the boat and I do the drag back up and almost let it pull us out into deeper water. Feeling safe I add a little extra pressure by placing my finger on the spool and the fish responds by shaking its head and powering off on an angled run and the hooks pull out :ranting2:. At least this fight was over quickly this time, but not knowing exactly how big or even what species of fish I was connected to is a bummer.

Bad luck on the big fish, did it damage the hooks on you blade?

The first hook up resulted in one of the centre treble hooks being bent but not mangled, straightened it out and it was good to go again. Both fights resulted in small weed clumps on the line probably helping the hooks to come free.

Larger fish could have been salmon, they have been all the way up near Gladesville over the last couple of weeks.

Ben

Gday Ben

Could possibly have been Salmon and they certainly get up that far and I got one I think I even posted about a couple of weeks ago and it slugged it out really tough, there are enough clues to have me leaning towards a jew. Both were hooked on or very close to the bottom using a slow gentle hop. Both times the lure was bumped before hooking up and close to the turn of the tide.

Also most fights I have had with a salmon are visual in that u get a jump or they come close to the boat before doing a power dive. This did not look like happening at all.

There are a few doubts but I am hoping I have found an area where school jew feed and thats the thought that will get me back there sooner rather than later.

Cheers Gibbo

Sounds like a Jew run to me. Go back there with a snapper outfit using the same lure after replacing the hooks for a set of owner W or single hooks and try again. You will have a much better chance of keeping him. Since you are in a boat I expect that 20lb braid will be enough with a 20-30lb FC leader.

Good luck!

Luc.