Experts with tinny's - please help!

sobryan

After a long break I am getting back into fishing and spending more time with the kids, introducing my daughters (10 and 12) tothe thrills of fishing. I am looking to purchase a reliable and safe used Tinny for my purposes, hopefully around the 5K mark - it would be used in the following:-

1: Generally used for fishing in Port Philip Bay (not out too far) from Nth Road Brighton, on occasions the peninsula and possibly Westernport.

2: Tinny so that I can handle launch and retrieve without assistance (safety gear,fish finder etc go without saying)

3: Most times, 1 adult, 2 kids, occasionally 2 adults 2 kids

So the question, to those that have "been there done that" especially in Port Philip, in your experienced opinions, what would be the best size and type tinny for these purposes ie. is 3.9m ok or too small, deep V hull better, brand, year ?????

Your advice is greatly apreciated - Thank you - Colin

minimum 4.2m boat like a quintrex dory or stacer rampage

30hp minimum for when you have the 2 adults 2 kid, could also pull a tube around

two twarth seats and a floor between, a big bimini and a cheap sounder and 27mhz so you can get weather warnings as any bay can blow up

5k would get a nice package 8-9k would get a brand new one without the bimini etc

minimum 4.2m boat like a quintrex dory or stacer rampage

30hp minimum for when you have the 2 adults 2 kid, could also pull a tube around

two twarth seats and a floor between, a big bimini and a cheap sounder and 27mhz so you can get weather warnings as any bay can blow up

5k would get a nice package 8-9k would get a brand new one without the bimini etc

Thank you for the information.

i was looking at a 1998 3.9 stacer with a 25 for 3-4k,with everything - so you think this would be too small? it seems that some of the prices may be a bit unrealistic - lots of stuff being passed in. thanks again.

generally when jumping to 4.2m you get a lot more boat

more depth more width more transom height

these big bays botany broken bay melbournes bays even the big dams here can get choppy and worse really quickly

i can remmber being in 1.5m+ waves in broken bay one day when i pushed my luck with a predicted southerly

one minute flat the next life jackets on an dflares out expecting to lose the boat

generally when jumping to 4.2m you get a lot more boat

more depth more width more transom height

these big bays botany broken bay melbournes bays even the big dams here can get choppy and worse really quickly

i can remmber being in 1.5m+ waves in broken bay one day when i pushed my luck with a predicted southerly

one minute flat the next life jackets on an dflares out expecting to lose the boat

True, safety is paramount, thanks again, i will keep looking for a 4.2