Hawkesbury Fishing

breamie

Hi All,

Im heading up to the Hawesbury this weekend to chase some jewfish. last time we were there we used live yakkas hanging around juno point and flint and steel however we didnt have much success.

so we are thinking of trying some squid this time. just wondering if anyone would be able to point us in the right direction on where to catch them or whether it is just best to buy frozen squid?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all

Hi All,

Im heading up to the Hawesbury this weekend to chase some jewfish. last time we were there we used live yakkas hanging around juno point and flint and steel however we didnt have much success.

so we are thinking of trying some squid this time. just wondering if anyone would be able to point us in the right direction on where to catch them or whether it is just best to buy frozen squid?

Thanks all

Hi mate, for squid head into pittwater. Places like West Head, Mackerel Beach, Barrenjoey Head and Palm Beach wharf are all good starting points. They've been patchy lately though. I would suggest buying a few fresh squid to have as back up :thumbup:

Hi All,

Thanks all

Breamie,

I had great success a few months back at Barrenjoey, got 5 squid within minutes and had 2-3 squid chasing their hooked mate as well. Filled my bait tank pretty quick as they were bloody huge. Have not tried recently though. If you were to use frozen I would recommend snap frozen fresh Hawkesbury squid which you will pay through the nose for.

Mattyg

Breamie,

I had great success a few months back at Barrenjoey, got 5 squid within minutes and had 2-3 squid chasing their hooked mate as well. Filled my bait tank pretty quick as they were bloody huge. Have not tried recently though. If you were to use frozen I would recommend snap frozen fresh Hawkesbury squid which you will pay through the nose for.

Mattyg

Hey mattyg, where abouts do u get snap frozen hawksbury squid from?? I have heard california squid is on of the best frozen squids to buy, what are your thoughts on it?

Hey mattyg, where abouts do u get snap frozen hawksbury squid from?? I have heard california squid is on of the best frozen squids to buy, what are your thoughts on it?

Fishnatic,

My local tackle shop, "Fish On" at Kings Park has them from time to time and I have also herd that Windsor Bait and Tackle also sells them. Im not sure where else you could get them besides getting them direct from the trawler operators at the Hawkesbury. I have caught plenty of fish on the California squid but I never use them whole I always cut them into strips as they look nothing like a Southern Calamari or Arrow squid (have no idea if the fish notice it). But I always try for fresh squid first and have the frozen as a back up only.

Mattyg