Batemans Bay

aeb870

Hey,

I was just looking for a bit of an insight about fishing the Clyde River down at Batemans Bay, we have organised a Houseboat for the end of June for the weekend.

About 8 years ago, I remember going there also for a houseboat and I remember only catching Catfish and undersized Flatheads. Recently however I have seen a report of Jewies being caught out there, also from houseboats.

Does anyone have any experience with this area, any advise or reports would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jewies on sp at dusk and first light. The by-catch is big flathead and tailor. I'm sure you'd get the odd jewie on bait at night but SP is generally the go down there. Look for drop offs and channel edges.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I have seen that video on youtube while browsing, looks promising.

I am not much of a SP fisherman, partially because I am still learning and yet to catch my first fish on it. :P But I might try some SP while bait fishing.

Is there still Catfish in that river? I remember they were like a plague :ranting2:

Edited by aeb870

I believe people catch jewfish just west of the bridge, in the little bay on the northern side. There are flathead under the powerlines. There is a big hole on the south side where the river makes a big bend about 4 km from the bridge. Another 2 km on there are some nice yabby flats on the left hand side - also at the south end of the Big Island (500m further). There should be good whiting and flathead at both spots. About 6 km futher on from the Big Island is a very deep hole that I keep meaning to try for jewies. It's a km or so before Nelligen. There are flathead and garfish (on the surface) at the Nelligen bridge. Watch out for the sanctuary zones - get a Marine Park map from any tackle shop. There is a big shallow area on the left side (going upstream) about 1 km past the Little Island. Should be good flathead there but keep well to the right to stay in the channel.

Wow, thanks heaps for the responses guys. I might try get out to the Lake for a bit of practice with both my baitcaster and the SPs.

Thanks for sharing Benzeenees, very detailed. Just a quick one, when you mentioned the Big Island, is this basically the first island you come across travelling upstream from the bridge? Like is it where the river goes straight but you can turn right sort of and travel around the island.

This is where I was planning to stay the night as I imagined it wouldn't be too bad.

Those catfish are nasty, nasty spike to them too.

Thanks for the info again, really wonderful to get so many pointers.

With the SPs, which one, and what size would be recommended for targeting a Jewfish? I am also guessing that a Flathead would take anything targeted at a Jewie, I head Flatheads take almost any SPs.

Those catfish are nasty, nasty spike to them too.

Thanks for the info again, really wonderful to get so many pointers.

With the SPs, which one, and what size would be recommended for targeting a Jewfish? I am also guessing that a Flathead would take anything targeted at a Jewie, I head Flatheads take almost any SPs.

7" Jerkshads, Large squidgy fish and pretty much anything sizeable with a paddletail. Most colours are good but if i had to pick then a whitish colour would be first on the list!

Sorry to hijack your Clyde River thread aeb870, but am picking up on the SP/jewie chat. Some of you guys have had success here, I am keen to try. Am clear re the type of SP required, can you talk a little about the technique? A deep hole or drop off..........assuming you let the SP sink to the bottom, then a slow retrieve? All the way up? Give it some movement/action? Tides important? Any tips from the masters are appreciated!