where do the yellowtail go in winter

Benzeenees

In the last couple of weeks it has become progressively harder to find yellowtail in the Batemans Bay/Moruya area. Yesterday we couldn't catch one whereas a month ago we could easily round up 20. Should we be looking in deeper water or what? :15:

In the last couple of weeks it has become progressively harder to find yellowtail in the Batemans Bay/Moruya area. Yesterday we couldn't catch one whereas a month ago we could easily round up 20. Should we be looking in deeper water or what? :15:

Dunno about the area your fishing in but we find in winter they are alot harder to get as the bait is less abundant in the colder weather therefore yakkas much easier pickings for the resident predators, whereas in summer even though they are alot more predators there 'typically' tends to be alot more bait, so easier to catch yakkas. Just our theory anyway. Also as a result we have to have our yakkas by 5am or before, otherwise they go deep and are very very hard to catch.

Dan

For some reason i find them easier to get in winter. I'm sure most would differ from this though. I can definitely vouch for the theory that they go deeper in winter. For example, in winter last year the yakkas at west head (pittwater) were hanging right at the bottom in 15m of water. In summer they were hanging mid water in about 8m in the same area. Can't go wrong if you grab a sabiki rig and bait every second hook up and slowly lift it up and let it sink back down.

Good luck!

<br />For some reason i find them easier to get in winter. I'm sure most would differ from this though. I can definitely vouch for the theory that they go deeper in winter. For example, in winter last year the yakkas at west head (pittwater) were hanging right at the bottom in 15m of water. In summer they were hanging mid water in about 8m in the same area. Can't go wrong if you grab a sabiki rig and bait every second hook up and slowly lift it up and let it sink back down. <br />

<br />

Good luck!<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Me to.i think its got to do with less people fishing for them.i just use dry bread crumbs and a three hook bait jig

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

<br /><br /><br />

Me to.i think its got to do with less people fishing for them.i just use dry bread crumbs and a three hook bait jig

Breadcrumbs as bait or burley? I think you would struggle to get them on a hook.

:074: hahaha, i reckon he must mean burley. Or maybe small bits of bread?

Most likely lol, i usually find yakkas nearly non existant in the top half of the water column in winter. Your best bet is a nice burley trail and have a go down deep, chances of bycatch are very high, especially rubbish fish.

Edited by Krispy !

Na for burley they go nuts and if theres any pillies the love it to i just tip it from the bag close to the water and its like a cloud of bread crumbs then just drop your jig or long shank with bait into the cloud of crumbs

For some reason i find them easier to get in winter. I'm sure most would differ from this though. I can definitely vouch for the theory that they go deeper in winter. For example, in winter last year the yakkas at west head (pittwater) were hanging right at the bottom in 15m of water. In summer they were hanging mid water in about 8m in the same area. Can't go wrong if you grab a sabiki rig and bait every second hook up and slowly lift it up and let it sink back down.

Good luck!

We use a sabiki rod with a Pro-Sabiki brand jig. When things are difficult we put a piece of salted bonito (with skin) or a bit of squid testicle :biggrin2: on the hooks. We usually fish in 5 - 8m of water. We use burley pellets and a burley bucket with bread, pellets and some chopped up pilchard. But next time I'll try going deeper - say 15m and use more pilchards. Yesterday the only place we found any was in about 7m very close to where waves were breaking on a ledge running out from the shore. It was a little scary, and they weren't biting anyway, so we decided to try elsewhere. We did manage to pick up some rubbish but the result was no kingfish. :1badmood:

Edited by Benzeenees

I find them very hard also in winter, I've only seen one guy catch them where I fish, he uses breadrolls for burley, about a day old and stale he just breaks it up into chucks mixed with seawater, no crumbing it, just half fist sized chunks.

All I need to know is a sure fire way of catching them at Mermaids Inlet. If any locals could share some LB spots/methods that would be great. Did get told about a little ravine to the northern end.

Edited by trentarena89

We use a sabiki rod with a Pro-Sabiki brand jig. When things are difficult we put a piece of salted bonito (with skin) or a bit of squid testicle :biggrin2: on the hooks. We usually fish in 5 - 8m of water. We use burley pellets and a burley bucket with bread, pellets and some chopped up pilchard. But next time I'll try going deeper - say 15m and use more pilchards. Yesterday the only place we found any was in about 7m very close to where waves were breaking on a ledge running out from the shore. It was a little scary, and they weren't biting anyway, so we decided to try elsewhere. We did manage to pick up some rubbish but the result was no kingfish. :1badmood:

hahahaha "squid testicle" aye? Any good? Classic !