Top Dogs hit North Head 23/06/2012

dwan8337

Hi Fellow Raiders,

A Late report. Adrian and I decided to do some lazy fishing (so we thought). Normally we'd leave my joint around 3:30am to pick up some live bait to carry down the rocks. However today, an extra hour of sleep and not having to carry down 20L buckets was the deserved winner :thumbup: and rightly so, as it probably will stay this way from now on until after winter hibernation.

Weapons of Choice: 2XShimano Baitrunner 4000D's matched up to 2XDaiwa 305 Seajiggers both spooled with 25lb Unitaka braid.

Rig of Choice: Good old Pillie under a float.

Some say mono is the way to go. Rightly so because you're allowed some grace when that fish drags your line next to rocks. Personally I prefer the extra 15 meters you get on braid. Downside, is you will need to play it smart by using your drag to tire the fish out before it comes anywhere close to shore. Fair trade off I reckon.

P.S. This does not work when you target Kingfish off the rocks. Only suitable for the less intelligent species such as Bonitos and Aussie Salmon.

We reach our destination at first light. The conditions are looking hairy although the winds were fine. Always remember to watch the waves for a good half hour as they do come in sets. Not surprisingly, the sets we were waiting for completely engulfed our usual spots. This usually means....the fishing is going to be awesome! But no fish is worth dying for as they say. So we set out for our trusty old second ledge where it remains our weekend getaway from work, crowds, girlfriends and all.

First drop...down goes the float...zzZZzzzzz :1yikes:

Second drop...down goes the float again...zzZzzz :yahoo:

Third drop...could this be the legendary fishing trifecta?...down goes the float again!....zZzzzz :074: Is this the moment when they say a boy turns into a man??

Anyways these are the results for last week! Sorry just had to add...pretty damn excited about this Stradic ci4 1000 and Okuma 30-s coming next week. It's like Christmas came early. Can't wait to pit them up against some middle harbour pelagics! Will be posting up stories of why you don't bring knives to gunfight stories in the coming weeks.

For now, Tight lines all!

post-17226-004612100 1341039085_thumb.jpg

post-17226-098579600 1341039335_thumb.jpg

Edited by dwan8337

Nice haul there mate.

But don't write off braid for kings I prefer it off the rocks cos the lack of stretch mean you can turn the fish. Most of my LBG king have been caught when I've locked up the drag and ripped into the fish. Break the fish or be broken is my theory. But I do run mono on my TLD for sending out live bonnies and other massive live baits.

Nice haul there mate.

But don't write off braid for kings I prefer it off the rocks cos the lack of stretch mean you can turn the fish. Most of my LBG king have been caught when I've locked up the drag and ripped into the fish. Break the fish or be broken is my theory. But I do run mono on my TLD for sending out live bonnies and other massive live baits.

Cheers! I've seen live baited bonnie once...nearly pissed my pants when the bloke's float went under. Guy had Saltiga 6500, some fancy rod as well, absolutely smoked. He called it the 1m kings that play around there. All you saw was a float swimming towards the horizon