First squid

Howdoweplaythis

Haven't been able to get out to fish for 3 weeks because of uni exams. All i could think about the whole time was trying to get my first squid.

Finally finished exams yesterday and headed out today to Balmoral beach at dusk. First or second cast i feel a little tug, decide to set it and line starts coming off the drag. Had it set waaay too soft. It fought for a while and then spat the jig. Rookie error! Spewing! It had some decent weight and strength to it too.

A few casts later, i feel some weight and reel it in and got an absolute STONKER! (haha, a squid is a squid!)

5wfj3r.jpg

Flicked the jig around the wharf for another hour and a half or so for nada.

Can someone help me confirm it is a squid, and not a cuttle? It looks more like a cuttle to me, but it didn't have a hard bone.

Cheers to Mack Attack for giving me tips on squidding at Balmoral. You can guarantee i'll be out again soon.

Just thought i might give you all a little giggle for your Saturday nights. :biggrin2:

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

Haven't been able to get out to fish for 3 weeks because of uni exams. All i could think about the whole time was trying to get my first squid.

Finally finished exams yesterday and headed out today to Balmoral beach at dusk. First or second cast i feel a little tug, decide to set it and line starts coming off the drag. Had it set waaay too soft. It fought for a while and then spat the jig. Rookie error! Spewing! It had some decent weight and strength to it too.

A few casts later, i feel some weight and reel it in and got an absolute STONKER!

5wfj3r.jpg

Flicked the jig around the wharf for another hour and a half or so for nada.

Can someone help me confirm it is a squid, and not a cuttle? It looks more like a cuttle to me, but it didn't have a hard bone.

Cheers to Mack Attack for giving me tips on squidding at Balmoral. You can guarantee i'll be out again soon.

Just thought i might give you all a little giggle for your Saturday nights. :biggrin2:

Have to say i've never seen a squid/cuttle like that before. Still a good catch. There should be some biggens around at the moment! Keep at it!

Mate, in the dark i thought it was a blue ring octopus!

Thank god it wasn't mate. I snagged a blue ring one time in the dark and almost picked it up before i realised what it was!