Poddy Mullet

mattyg_16

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much down with most live bait including yakkas, slimies and squid but I have never attempted to obtain Poddy Mullet. I've got a grips on the trap an how set it but I really wanted to know the following:

- are their NSW fisheries limits on Poddys and the trap size;

- are there certain times of year which are better to catch them;

- what's the best method for rigging them (I'll be targeting flatties, bream and Jew;

- are they spread around or do the concentrate in certain areas; ( I normally fish the Hawkesbury and Sydney Harbour)

- what is everyone's best catches on Poddy's.

Thanks guys

Matt

Hi mate,

i've caught plenty of poddies. Both using traps and small float rigs. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1- From memory there is a limit of 20 poddies under 15cm long. There may also be a trap size limit but not quite sure what it is.

2- I prefer summer and autumn for poddies but they are still around for most of the year.

3- My favourite rig is a running ball sinker to a suitable size hook. I use 3 hook placements. Through the nose, through the shoulders and through the back section. If you pin it lightly anywhere in the back then you should do well!

4- They are often in schools and can be found in a variety of areas. Sandflats and shallow creeks are a good starting point. Throw some bread in to get them on the bite!

5- I've caught plenty of good bream (to 38cm) Flathead ( to 71cm) and tailor (to 40cm). Definitely one of the best baits around. Up North i've got plenty of big barra, jacks and queenies on them too!

Good luck!

Hi mate,

i've caught plenty of poddies. Both using traps and small float rigs. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1- From memory there is a limit of 20 poddies under 15cm long. There may also be a trap size limit but not quite sure what it is.

2- I prefer summer and autumn for poddies but they are still around for most of the year.

3- My favourite rig is a running ball sinker to a suitable size hook. I use 3 hook placements. Through the nose, through the shoulders and through the back section. If you pin it lightly anywhere in the back then you should do well!

4- They are often in schools and can be found in a variety of areas. Sandflats and shallow creeks are a good starting point. Throw some bread in to get them on the bite!

5- I've caught plenty of good bream (to 38cm) Flathead ( to 71cm) and tailor (to 40cm). Definitely one of the best baits around. Up North i've got plenty of big barra, jacks and queenies on them too!

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks Mack Attack 79. I have herd they are an unreal bait hence why I want to master catching them. With trapping, how long do you typically leave the trap in? I obviously don't want to leave it for too long and have the Poddy's swim back out!

Matt

Awesome, thanks Mack Attack 79. I have herd they are an unreal bait hence why I want to master catching them. With trapping, how long do you typically leave the trap in? I obviously don't want to leave it for too long and have the Poddy's swim back out!

Matt

It depends on a few things mate. Generally speaking i'd say between 5-10 minutes. Sometimes less and sometimes more. You have to make sure that you are at least 5 meters away to ensure they feed properly. You should put your trap in less than 30cm of water for best results.

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much down with most live bait including yakkas, slimies and squid but I have never attempted to obtain Poddy Mullet. I've got a grips on the trap an how set it but I really wanted to know the following:

- are their NSW fisheries limits on Poddys and the trap size;

Matt - trap size info is here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations/sw/methods

Thanks user 1829

For anyone else interested: "The maximum dimensions of a bait trap are 450mm length x 350mm diameter with entrance funnel no larger than 60mm in diameter" You also need to be a label with your contact details on it however I'm sure this is not required if you are within visual contact with the trap.

Matt

Thanks user 1829

For anyone else interested: "The maximum dimensions of a bait trap are 450mm length x 350mm diameter with entrance funnel no larger than 60mm in diameter" You also need to be a label with your contact details on it however I'm sure this is not required if you are within visual contact with the trap.

Matt

it is unlawful to use a trap without a label:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/fmr2010339/s38.html

Dave

EDIT: whether you'll be fined by Fisheries for not doing so whilst in sight of the trap is another matter ;)

Edited by user1829

I use one of those clear tube traps you can buy for 12 bucks at your local tackle store.

I also use a opera house yabbie trap the only issue with this is that the larger fish get stuck in the net rather than trapped in the pot.

I use bread and tuna oil as bait and place my trap in tidal rock pools when the water is coming in.

Works ok for me so far.

I use one of those clear tube traps you can buy for 12 bucks at your local tackle store.

I also use a opera house yabbie trap the only issue with this is that the larger fish get stuck in the net rather than trapped in the pot.

I use bread and tuna oil as bait and place my trap in tidal rock pools when the water is coming in.

Works ok for me so far.

Thanks elferoz777,

I have seen those clear tubes your talking about in tackle shops but through research and talking to a lot of people I got the feeling that the clear tube traps dont perform as well becasue they have the entry points on the side. Ive been told to obtain or make a trap with the entry hole ontop. I have no idea if it is in fact true but thats the vibe I have been getting. I have a few places in mind which include some tidal rock areas. I'm just going to have to spend a day putting it in several places on different tides and see what works.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I have used and my grand father used a plastic bowl or box with a piece of light fly screen over the top secured with an elastic band. Cut a small 6cm wide hole in the middle and you've got a cheap and very effective trap. I've also used glass bowls on the sand flats. I use sand to weigh it down. I've also seen some great traps hand made with coat hanger wire to make a square frame and covered with fly screen with a hinged base. Also try tidal lagoons and rock pools at the ends of beaches. My hook placement depends on what your fishing for. Study the way your target takes a bait, eg head first or tail first and place the hook accordingly. A lot of fish eat head first as the spikes on the bait don't get them as the bait goes down. Good Luck

Paul

On Strike