Eating jewfish from georges river

cjchen

hello all

im after your opinions on where would you eat or not eat from the georges river

mainly jewfish.

i've been catching a few along the river so this information is critical as i've been feeding them to the relos until my friend told me upper Georges is not such a good idea.

there are old posts but i would like the latest opinions,

thank you all

Eating from the georges river is fine , but always look at the fish for any abnormalities such as red spots , fins deformrd etc.This applies everywhere i suppose these days.If so i definately don,t risk eating the fish.

Plenty of jew in the river this year and it is definately worth catching

:fisher::fisher::fisher:

Chris.

seriously do you actually taste the water? And what would you compare the taste to?

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Nah I haven't actually lol honestly I'd be too scared to! :074: But my theory was more based on if you're eating the fish from there, you may as well taste the water!

But I have smelt it... especially more upstream towards chippo.

If you dip a clean rag into the water at chippo, take it out and leave for 10 minutes, then smell it. It stinks!

I haven't tried this around picnic point though, might be worth a test.

gday mate

i actually had this same question re jewies due to mercury in the spine, so i rang fisheries and asked the guy there for a no bull opinion on the eating quality of the fish in botany as i feed my 5 year old son fish on a regular basis.

I was told avoid black fish as they eat weed and toxins from pollution are adsorbed by weed, more so cooks river and upper Georges river where ever water doesn't move very fast and where the fish tend to hold only in those area's as opposed to the fish that feed throughout the bay and even outside and return.

The large jewies would be more to worrie about as opposed to the smaller, and he reckons you would have to be on a diet of the jewies more than on night a week.

other than that all other species are ok just avoid cooks river, and upper Georges and chipping norton.

Any way I hope that helps

hey all,

thanks for the replies, been catching some good Jewies at east hills.

I guess will need to find another targeting ground for these wonderful species.

will never be sure where the fish has been... up or down river I guess.

keep your opinions coming!!

hey all,

thanks for the replies, been catching some good Jewies at east hills.

I guess will need to find another targeting ground for these wonderful species.

will never be sure where the fish has been... up or down river I guess.

keep your opinions coming!!

Do they have any size to them i had a bit of luck under the bridge at morebank this time last year .

What about fish imported from overseas like bhasa from Vietnam do u think the government and regulatory bodies give a stuff in those countries? So in my opinion moderation is the key a Jewry here an there won't kill you, and all the more reason for catch and release take one or two for eating and release the rest.

Tight lines,

Shakeel