Sandon Point and Woonona beach

elferoz777

Decided last week that this was it for me..not going to fish again until summer....that being said I was casting of at Sandon point by 0600 this morning.

The water looked perfect and I was honestly expecting at least a nibble but I got nothing.

Was using cunji and prawn under a float as is was snag city on the retrieve.

I then thought of heading over to Woonona behind the pools.

It looked quite good..there was cabbage and weed allover the rocks and I mean everywhere. There was a high ledge and deep water but I thought I better play it safe for my first time there...and I was right!

I was a good 5-10 meters from the edge of the ledge and noticed the swell (I can read beaches about as well as I can read Chinese....not at all. I got that feeling I should brace myself then WHACK!

a wall of whitewash soaked me followed by a stream of knee deep water that took my spare rod with it (hoping to clean and olive oil it tonight to save it).

There was two other fishos there..one spinning for tailor (got 5) and another of the rocks in high vis gear seemed to be pulling the trevally.

The old fella tells me "come over here...you wont get wet on this spot" I would have been there long enough to blink before another got almighty wall of foamed coated me....."that was a freak one" he yells and before I could say something in response we were coated again.....

Needless to say I left with nothing but a lesson or two about rock fishing...

If you dont know the spot spend a good 20mins just watching ( I only spent 10 and felt at ease as there were others there.

Secondly dont go near the bloody edge...This is something I never do but I see many fishos hovering right over the edge of ledges.

All the above being said I think the area has potential and look forward to trying it in summer. Though you will more than likely find a post from me next week saying that it kicked ass (hopefully).

Guest hawkesbass

Rule 2 never go alone and wear appropriate footwear in spiked boots or cleats and also a pfd if you go in your lucky to be alive by sounds off it no fish is worth dying for

All good advice....

I was pretty darn careful anyhow and my shoes are quite reliable.

I like the less turbulent rock areas I usually go to...sure you have to cast further to get the deep water and there is the occasional snag but I dont ever get drenched.

The other two blokes there didnt seem bothered by all the water and chaos they must just be keener than I am

Mate

My advice to you would be don't fish the rocks.

After the first wave you should have learnt a lesson and gone home.

You say you want to go and try again in summer. doesn't sound like you learnt much of a lesson.

If you can't read the surf you shouldn't be any where near the rocks.

Stay on the sand and stay safe.

Elf...u don't have to cast very far off rocks to catch fish...most of the time they r just 10m from where u r standing...those fishos that were with u r either newbies like u or just plain silly...we were like that when we started fishing off rocks...we don't fish off rocks during winter anymore...we go beach fishing n target species like salmon tailor flatty...its a lot safer...take care buddy...

Mate

My advice to you would be don't fish the rocks.

After the first wave you should have learnt a lesson and gone home.

You say you want to go and try again in summer. doesn't sound like you learnt much of a lesson.

If you can't read the surf you shouldn't be any where near the rocks.

Stay on the sand and stay safe.

After the first wave the second one followed within 3 seconds...

haha I was already hightailing it out of there.

Re summer fishing there is a rock pool at that spot that during a reasonable tide would keep decent snapper and bream though it is far from where the waves smash...trust me I have learnt plenty..

I will stick to the beach I think which is more relaxing as you can safety hold a beer or pie or both without having to worry about anything...unless your line goes off.

Thanks for the advice fellas

Hi Mate,

Have a read of this;

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=58793

The main thing to remember is your life is worth much more than the fish or your fishing gear :1prop:

Cheers,

I 100% agree with that.

I will stick the areas I am familiar with and know how to read.

I have a few rock spots that dont attract such high and volatile swell.

That article was interesting re the deaths...What a sad lonely way to go.

I think Port Kembla will be as rocky as I get for a while