Boat Trailers?

vandal

Hey Guys

Haven't been on the forum for about 2 years cause i sold my boat, now i am missing it so want to purchase another one. Though something i never heard before was about this 750kg limit then brakes are needed no matter what vehicle you have.

If this is true how come every boat i am looking at that is has to be over 750kg does not have brakes on the trailer?

Thanks

Vandal

Yes.

Override brakes from 750 to 2000 kgs and independent brakes (breakaway system) from 2001 kgs. The tow vehicle, tow bar and so forth have to be rated for the load.

Edited by Testlab

Thanks for the info.

Just I have emailed a few people in regards to their 4.75-5m boats and they either have no idea what trailer brakes are or they don't have them. Surely combined weight is over 750kg how were they able to be sold like that? There must be heaps of people driving around with trailers over 750 with no brakes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Vandal

Does anyone know if the trailer was made before the 750kg rule came out, does it still need brakes attached or is it only for trailer made after the rule was enforced.

1 in 5 is about right LOL, I am guessing the boat is under 750kg when sold (no petrol, esky or fishing gear).

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I think the braking requirements were even more strict back before 1998, when the current NSW requirements came out (or so I believe). The 750kgs requirement is pretty much universally required for rego these days and a BMT package may be stripped down to weight for rego prior to adding fuel tanks, bimini tops and anything else removable - but once it's loaded up and you leave your driveway you're responsible for complying with the law and for making sure those brakes are working too. I have seen plenty of people forget to remove the locking bar from override brakes after leaving ramps.

I would be very uneasy about insurance coverage if you rear ended or t-boned someone and found to be towing a combination that was non compliant.

Pre and post 1998 requirements described here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vib03.pdf

Edited by Testlab

A requirement when establishing registration is that the vehicle or trailer goes over a weigh bridge. There are of cause exemptions to the rule, such as new motor vehicles. Manufactures submit variation weights to the RTA to avoid every new car having to go over a weigh bridge. It may be the same for certain brand new trailers???

Any way point to my story, If I knew where my boat trailer rego papers where I would check the weight that is listed. I am thinking that the registration is established wholly and solely on the weight of the trailer alone. What you carry on the trailer is your responsibility? Given the options with fit out of your new boat determines the over all weight..

Hi, the law has been this way for nearly 20 years so if a MBT rig is over 750Kg you need brakes-simple as that. On an older trailer you do not have to add brakes but if you ever replaced that trailer and the rig was over the limit it would need brakes even if the old trailer did not. Yes there are nany rigs running around that are illegal and alot of so called experts and dealers will still fit a line ball new rig on an unbraked trailer to save $500 and unwarying new owner may be in for a shock if they are involved in an accident.

The brand of alloy boat we choose to stock and sell have factory fitted trailer and prety much from 4.50M and up come on a braked trailer even though alot of "cheaper" brands of the same size do not-but that is just one of the many pitfalls from buying a lesser brand and from a company that does not have the experience.

Cheers,

Huey.

On an older trailer you do not have to add brakes but if you ever replaced that trailer and the rig was over the limit it would need brakes even if the old trailer did not. Huey.

Hi. Where can I find the full details on this reguarding older trailers? How old is old?

Hi. Where can I find the full details on this regarding older trailers? How old is old?

the old rules apply to trailers registered pre 1981

but this is irrelevant if your boat and trailer exceed 750kg and your pulled over even with a 981 model trailer you will be booked

rta nsw 1

rta nsw towing trailers

rta nsw are a pack of fools as they now have a term "loaded weight" and dont seem to use atm gvm anymore

this is what i believe to be correct

ATM is the weight of the trailer and its load Aggregate towing mass

GTM is the weight on the wheels ( excludes Ball weight) Gross towing mass

Ball weight is usually obtained by subtracting the GTM from the ATM.

0 – 750 kg loaded weight – no brakes required.

751 – 2000 kg loaded weight – braking on both wheels

on at least one axle.

2001– 4500 kg loaded weight – braking on all wheels

i tried calling them and they couldn't explain it to me what is loaded weight

so i err on the side of caution, if the whole rig is over 750kg sitting there on the trailer it needs brakes

Edited by Juggs

I think it's pretty simple from looking at the guidance material. If the total towed mass exceeds 750kgs you need brakes. It doesn't matter how it's distributed amongst load or trailer mass.... you can have a 700kg trailer carrying 51 kgs or a 150 kg trailer carrying 651 kgs... above 750 kgs total mass it's gotta have brakes. Age of the trailer doesn't matter and the weight on the rego papers only let's you calculate how much load you can carry on it until you reach rated or designed maximum.

Edited by Testlab