Roseville - 12/7/12

rjc123

Hi raiders,

probably getting sick of my reports but i figured i'd keep em coming while i have time. Another opportunity presented itself today so i headed down to roseville for a fish. High tide was a bit after 3 today so perfect for a few unweighted baits. Headed to my favourite "honey hole" but it was out of action today. The pontoon had been moved by the builders and there was far too much noise. Opted to hit the bridge itself which i haven't done in a while. Had 3 outfits; heavy 50lb gear with half a squid for a passing jew, 20lb gear with whole ganged pilchard and the light 6lb stuff with a few prawns. The only rod to get any action all afternoon was the light stuff. Overall pulled in 1 legal tailor (32cm) , 3 Monster Yakkas (to 32cm) and a PB 38cm flounder. Not a fantastic session but at least i found a few. Never seen yakkas that size up at roseville before. Even though i found a few in the end, it was a pretty slow day. Anyone tell me how to clean and cook the flounder? Never kept one before so not sure what to do.

post-14949-084206400 1342084658_thumb.png

Cheers, Tom

Anyone tell me how to clean and cook the flounder? Never kept one before so not sure what to do.

Cheers, Tom

nice tom :)

how you want to cook it? lightly dusted & shallow pan fried works, or steamed with ginger and shallots...

fillet just like most fish, from centreline out - skin is like flatty skin, so a decent filleting knife will separate it from the flesh... cut the gut section out after filleting

a chef showed me how to "peel" the skin off, but i found a filleting knife will do the job...

nice tom :)

how you want to cook it? lightly dusted & shallow pan fried works, or steamed with ginger and shallots...

fillet just like most fish, from centreline out - skin is like flatty skin, so a decent filleting knife will separate it from the flesh... cut the gut section out after filleting

a chef showed me how to "peel" the skin off, but i found a filleting knife will do the job...

Cheers mate, i'll give that a go! Never been particularly good with filleting flathead either though..

Huge Yakkas, anyone know how they go for bait that big?

I often use them as a butterflied bait for Jewfish and Sharks. Snelled rig is the way to go with em. Mind you i've never put a butterflied yakka out that is more than 25cm!

Edited by mack attack 79

champ have I seen you at Roseville? I used to go there everyday! I'm pretty easy to identify as I drove blue 350z :)

I'm guessing due to the new structures being built that may act as FAD??

But then again, I have seen Jewie and blue swimmers being pulled in from Roseville :)

I don't live near there anymore so can't go there everyday but your posts are soooo tempting!! lol

oh I'll share you my secret trick that guarentees a big flatty, catch yakkas (there's plenty of them), then chop them up in 3-5 peices depending on the size and throw it out infront (act as great burly). Have a line out with whole yakka (make sure you stab the yakka so you get the guts hanging out). I used to use a handline and when I'm ready to go home, 99% of the time you will have a big flatty at the end of the line. oh use heavy lines as you get some monster flatty! :)

Edited by gianniz

champ have I seen you at Roseville? I used to go there everyday! I'm pretty easy to identify as I drove blue 350z :)

I'm guessing due to the new structures being built that may act as FAD??

But then again, I have seen Jewie and blue swimmers being pulled in from Roseville :)

I don't live near there anymore so can't go there everyday but your posts are soooo tempting!! lol

oh I'll share you my secret trick that guarentees a big flatty, catch yakkas (there's plenty of them), then chop them up in 3-5 peices depending on the size and throw it out infront (act as great burly). Have a line out with whole yakka (make sure you stab the yakka so you get the guts hanging out). I used to use a handline and when I'm ready to go home, 99% of the time you will have a big flatty at the end of the line. oh use heavy lines as you get some monster flatty! :)

Cheers mate! Have seen a few monster flatties pulled out (biggest 89cm) . I'll have to give your trick a go sometime! Will it work in winter? I think the structure does act as a fad. The Bream, Tailor and Trevally were hard up against the pontoon and construction site. The hard part is turning their head straight away!

Cheers mate! Have seen a few monster flatties pulled out (biggest 89cm) . I'll have to give your trick a go sometime! Will it work in winter? I think the structure does act as a fad. The Bream, Tailor and Trevally were hard up against the pontoon and construction site. The hard part is turning their head straight away!

I've fished there for a year and just like any other places, it can be a hit or miss, but my trick about flatty works :)

Went down to Roseville last night after seeing this post. Got a big bite and low and behold got a 60 cm Aussie Salmon!

Who knew they went that far up!

post-22205-048123600 1342151911_thumb.jpg

Well done mate! Seen plenty of those buggers pulled out of there! They definitely go along was up the estuaries!

Yeah just to the left of the bridge on Killarney heights side. Just using unweighted prawns!

My first Aussie Salmon too!! :)

You fellas are lucky! Haven't had a salmon take my unweighted prawn lately.. although i did get a legal kingie at the boat ramp a few weeks ago on one! What time were you there?

Edited by mack attack 79