catching mullet tricks.

sydangler

I spend a lot of time fishing for mullet for jewfish baits and I've found some days they can be very hard to hook (others they are almost jumping in the bucket). So a few months back I decided to modify my rig to see if it would help. I've always used the simple small float with an unweighted hook till now.

The first thing I tried was using a quill float with a split shot so there was very little resistance this brought my hook up rate up but I still found my bait getting to deep and I was hooking a lot of small bream. So I move te float to the end of the trace with 2 droppers for the hooks (picture a padanoster rig with a float instead of a snapper sinker). This allows you to keep the bread raised between u and the float. I've now tested it with a small float above the hooks as well as the quill float bellow. This made thing so my easier. Just last night I was reading an old article on fishing for garfish and they suggested pulling lip balm on ut line to make it float. I went tried it but it would take out the need for the top float. Ill try test it in the next few days and ill post my thoughts.

Hope this helps anyone targeting mullet its deffinatately improved my fishing and I outfish others using the simple rig.

Last time i went for mullet i was killing them using a sabiki jig with as much of the glow beads and feathers cut away and bread on each hook. I started with a float attached to the end of the jig instead of a sinker similar to what you suggest and got a couple in about 20min. Then i changed back to a sinker and was surprised to find that this hugely increased the hook up rate and i pulled in another six in five minutes flat. Was only fishing in about 2m of water so i guess the sinker set up just had the bead well staggered across the different height of the water column maybe? I'm curious to give it another test soon to see if it was maybe just the way they were feeding that day.

Rich

I spent a lot of time during autumn catching those buggers. I used a very simple rig. Tiny quill float and size 12 hook with a tiny bit of bread. While i got a few in the traps, something always seems to go wrong/break with them... Last time i got 20 in a couple of hours. Hard work but they are a gun bait. Was a little frustrating how i had 2 live mullet out for 3 hours and then swapped to a tailor and within 10 mins landed PB jew... If you Fish them around drop-offs you should find plenty of nice flathead on the end of your line! The poddies are a little harder to get in winter though..

Cheers, Tom

I spend a lot of time fishing for mullet for jewfish baits and I've found some days they can be very hard to hook (others they are almost jumping in the bucket). So a few months back I decided to modify my rig to see if it would help. I've always used the simple small float with an unweighted hook till now.

The first thing I tried was using a quill float with a split shot so there was very little resistance this brought my hook up rate up but I still found my bait getting to deep and I was hooking a lot of small bream. So I move te float to the end of the trace with 2 droppers for the hooks (picture a padanoster rig with a float instead of a snapper sinker). This allows you to keep the bread raised between u and the float. I've now tested it with a small float above the hooks as well as the quill float bellow. This made thing so my easier. Just last night I was reading an old article on fishing for garfish and they suggested pulling lip balm on ut line to make it float. I went tried it but it would take out the need for the top float. Ill try test it in the next few days and ill post my thoughts.

Hope this helps anyone targeting mullet its deffinatately improved my fishing and I outfish others using the simple rig.

top idea mate i prefer to trap them usually but this sounds like a top way to catch them.

il give it a run against my trap on the weekend and see how it performs.

cheers for the tip.