Hawkesbury/Cowan creek

willradley

Hey raiders

Have been out twice in the last fortnight around mid arvo fished both sides of the tide change throwing around some slow worked plastics and vibes and have come home with a big fat zero. Tried deep and shallow water, points, drop offs and deep rock walls with not a touch. The water appears very clear, a little to clear I think with the current results I've experienced

Not seeing the usual small bait cruising the edges near the surface either

Has any one taken any good catches from this area recently other then Hairtail, really would like to know about bream,Jew, flathead etc

If anyone out there has some advice on the area that would be good? Should I be switching to bait in winter or fishing the low light periods as the water is so clear???

These fish less outings are driving me crazy

Wilbaforce

Hey mate we have had some luck on frigate mackeral, tailor and bonito in the last few weeks. Have just been trolling tiny chrome lures from Apple tree bay all the way up the hawkesbury and if we see some big groups of bust ups in a bay we'll stop and flick towards them. Hope this leads you to some fish! Am heading out tomorrow so hoping there is some fish around!

Mark

Hey mate we have had some luck on frigate mackeral, tailor and bonito in the last few weeks. Have just been trolling tiny chrome lures from Apple tree bay all the way up the hawkesbury and if we see some big groups of bust ups in a bay we'll stop and flick towards them. Hope this leads you to some fish! Am heading out tomorrow so hoping there is some fish around!

Mark

hey hiles, maybe it was you guys a couple weeks back at the cleaning table with a very decent catch of bonnies :biggrin2:

if you don't mind me asking, how do you troll the chrome lures?

hey hiles, maybe it was you guys a couple weeks back at the cleaning table with a very decent catch of bonnies :biggrin2:

if you don't mind me asking, how do you troll the chrome lures?

Easiest lures in the world to troll bud, put em back about 30 metres or more behind the boat and between 3 and 6 knots works a treat, we bagged 8 Bonnie's and 3 big tailor doing this on the weekend... Best part is after you have hooked up knock the boat in neutral and crank the remaining lures in and if your using threadline you can have a spin while your mate handles his fish, action breeds action!

Not seeing the usual small bait cruising the edges near the surface either

Hi Wilbaforce,

I fish Cowan a lot. When I come across conditons where I can't see any fish (baitfish or otherwise) I put away the flick gear.

One of the great things about using a kayak is if the fishing is slow you can enjoy a paddle! Pulling a lure behind of course.

Kayak when you fish or fish when you kayak.

Sincerely,

Rich.

Easiest lures in the world to troll bud, put em back about 30 metres or more behind the boat and between 3 and 6 knots works a treat, we bagged 8 Bonnie's and 3 big tailor doing this on the weekend... Best part is after you have hooked up knock the boat in neutral and crank the remaining lures in and if your using threadline you can have a spin while your mate handles his fish, action breeds action!

Thanks for the info mate! So I assume the lures will sit just below the surface? I've only been trolling rapala divers, might give the chromies a go next time.

Mark

Thanks Mark

I will give this technique ago next time I'm out on the water

Please let us know how you go today very interested to see your report on the creek

Regards

Wilbaforce

Hi Wilbaforce,

I fish Cowan a lot. When I come across conditons where I can't see any fish (baitfish or otherwise) I put away the flick gear.

One of the great things about using a kayak is if the fishing is slow you can enjoy a paddle! Pulling a lure behind of course.

Kayak when you fish or fish when you kayak.

Sincerely,

Rich.

Ha ha Rich

The kayak is certainly a great way to enjoy the creek especially mid week when its really quite

The further that you want the lure down in the water column the more lead you use. When trolling metals I like to have at least a 2.5-3 metre leader to a swivel then an easy rig lead. I tend to find that varying the outboard speed brings the lure up and down the water column and entices more fish. I also get alot of fish (primarily tailor) when I put the engine in neutral and let the lure drop followed by gunning it. I guess it would be the lazy way similar to imparting some action on the lure by moving the rod.

yeah exactly what brettman said!

Had a much worse session today, didn't troll up anything. Saw a big school of salmon working the end of a bay pretty aggressively but that was about it! We have found the time with the most activity to be low tide

Mark

I was out in Smith's Creek this morning - the water was crystal clear and the wind was fairly strong. I tried loads of burley, and had only one solid run. Sadly, nothing to report, as the line snapped - it felt like a nick in the braid rather than a very strong fish.

We have been having the same trouble!! We have been fishing the wharves around Abay trying for a few yellowtail and zip

Have had heaps of burley in the water but not one fish can be seen.

Might get the boat out this weekend and see if we can manage a couple of trevs or tailor :biggrin2:

Cc