Heart broken...

Gatte

Hey everyone!

Just got home from a casual night fishing on the pier just near punt bridge in East Gosford. Tried throwing a few lures around with a set line baited up with some prawn, hoping for some bream or flathead. Was having a quick break from the lures and picked up my baited line which to my delight was starting to get a bite.

After a few small bumps I wound in slowly when the line took off!!

My heart started racing as my rod was being pushed to it's limit. After a 5 minute fight, the monster at the other end broke off and left me with nothing, standing there contemplating what I did wrong. I swiftly re rigged with heavier leader and a bigger hook. Sadly the fish went off the bite after that.

Wish I knew what it was, my theory is there was a much smaller fish tapping at the bait and didn't see the big Jew, maybe flathead that was after it and accidently hit the hook.

Now in determined to head back there one night with some lives baits and heavier gear. Only problem I have being land based I haven't found anywhere to get mullet, yakkas or squid from the central coast.

Any other stories about the one that got away?

Or possibly some help finding lives baits?

Yeah mate, lost a biggun at woywoy bridge chasing bream land based, we're sure it was a jewie, was a half pillie...

Keep at it, land a tailor on your lure, then send it out on a big rod and wait :-)

where about do you fish around woy woy bridge? right under it?

The punt bridge is supposed to bring in big Jews near the mouth after some rain when in flushes all the mullet out of the creek with the dirty water. I saw in article in a mg ages ago with a guy catching huge ones with a lure there. Further down erina creek at barralong rd there are heaps of poddys around the pub and Campbell's cash and carry. Just need a trap. My uncle has caught a few under the bridge and I fished there as a kid catching all sorts an also in the creek. That creek further down holds so much mullet. You can see them swimming in schools every where Definatly think you missed the Jew. Good luck next time and I would definatly fish on the small beach on the mouth side of the bridge at night under the light on an outgoing tide after rain. . It is narrow too and all that goes in and out will go past your livies.

Cheers

Edited by cant catch any

Nothing to say it wasn't a jew but i'd be tipping it for a big croc. The big ones give a decent fight and test out your gear well and truly! Definitely head back with some livies as i'm sure there'd be jews there too.

Yeah I definatly will, going to head out the tomorrow morning an hour each side of the tide. I pulled in a good flathead the day before on a soft plastic so i too would suggest it was another one. Either way my mission is clear haha! Find some live baits and try again! I'll have a crack further down the creek for some mullet. Thanks guys :)

Edited by Gatts

Well known jew spot after rains, as is the Gosford Rail Bridge. One morning several years ago I was driving towards Gosford from Erina just as a guy was walking up to his car with a large jew over his shoulder. You don't need live bait to catch jew in dirty water. Big mullet fillets or skinned squid.

Sounds good, I've been reading up on some jewfish tactics and ways to land the allusive buggers so hopefully soon will hook one! I'm going to start targeting them a bit more and will hopefully get a chance to head out soon