Anchor rope and chain length

Plumb

Hi all, quick question. I want to be able to anchor up in around 40-60 meters. Recon 100 m rope and 10 m chain will be enough?

Boats a 5.5 fiberglass

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The recommended length for anchor rope is 3-7 times the depth you're anchoring in. The stronger the current and/or wind, the longer the rope should be to ensure a solid anchor point.

Chain I think is recommended as the length of the boat or greater, allowing for movement of the bow with wave action, theoretically the longer the better but who wants to drag in 20 metres of chain :) 5-6m should do the job in most circumstances I'd think.

I anchor in 12metres of water in the hawkesbury, and everyone knows how stupid the current runs in that system, I only have 2 metres of chain and its fine. Maybe invest in a manual winch dude, they cost like $50.

Absolutely - remember if you're going to be anchoring in 40 - 60 metres of water, at some point you're going to be pulling up 40 - 60 metres of rope, plus chain, plus anchor. Sounds like a good workout to me.

On the subject of anchoring. 99% (not exaggerated) of boats I see anchored dont let out enough rope. Then a bit of wind comes up and they go drifting by me or they cant get a good hold to start with lol. You need to let out plenty of rope. The more you let out the better the hold will be...Its all about the angle pulling on the anchor.

On the subject of anchoring. 99% (not exaggerated) of boats I see anchored dont let out enough rope. Then a bit of wind comes up and they go drifting by me or they cant get a good hold to start with lol. You need to let out plenty of rope. The more you let out the better the hold will be...Its all about the angle pulling on the anchor.

I've done that haha and eventually figured it out

I guess its all part of the learning process, along with forgetting the bungs etc. :074:

Cheers for all the replysI'll have a look at the Bouy option. re the chain, I've never been able to hold anchor without a good lenght of chain, i find the rope actually floats to some degree.

I'll get the rope sorted tonghts as I'm having a fish tomorrow and want to try it out. Ill take a protien bar out to eat before i start the task of pulling in in by hand... :074:

Well I set it up with 200m rope, ( the max that will fit) and 7 meters of chain. anchoerd up in 45 m last Friday on about 70 - 80 meters of rope. No problem.

It was a mongrel to pull in though. don’t know how I’d go with all 200 out...

might look into the winch .

Cheers Luke

Guest Aussie007

the idea is the chain lays across the ocean floor as your boat rises and lowers the extra length in the chain lifts up off the bottom and lowers again each time u hit swell u ideally want enough chain so u still have a few meters laying on the bottom when your boat lifts up so it doesnt rip the anchor out of the sea floor i think 5-7m of decent chain should be enough but your rope will be to short

Okay here goes, Dont forget that your anchor is not designed to hold you for indefinite periods in the same spot, always keep an eye on your position. It comes in extremely handy for emergencies so therefore should always be ready to easily drop anchor in a hurry. Also get into the habit of having your anchor broken down, that is by having all parts seperated, then putting shackle, chain, rope etc together before you leave. The reason being everything can be checked for wear etc before it goes down.

Guide for rope size is rec vessel 2-4m...6mm 6-8m...10mm 10-12m...14mm 14-16m...18mm. Do not use rope that floats.

Chain size, if your boat weighs less than 4ton, which it would size 6mm or less, but must be Grade 5 chain. The length of chain you will need is equal to the boats length. You dont need any more or less.

Your scope or ratio of cable length to depth of water is favourable conditions 5:1

average 8:1

Rough 10:1.

Second mouses call, get a ring and float it up. Takes the work of pulling it up though, use em and love em.

Eh?

I have always been told that you shouldnt use a rope that floats for an anchor rope.

I can't prove why or why not, this is just something that is very common in NZ where Im from.

Thinking back to my MSA course many moons ago, it was not considered safe because it may foul your own prop or others.

Cheers

Kel