Poddy mullet on the hawksbury?

brecko90

Hey fellow raiders, im heading up to brooklyn in a week and am starting to think about my bait selection, last time i went we failed to get any yakkas or squid at west head and was stuck using servo pillies that were ment for burly and strips of salmon that had been in the freezer for 6 months, so i was hoping to try and target poddy mullet as well as yakkas and squid to give myself a better chance of finding fresh bait but wouldnt have a clue where to set my traps so i was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction, any help is appricated :biggrin2:

Really depends on where in the river you'll be. Once i know that i can let you in on a few spots. West head is definitely the go for yakkas though.. A lot of big ones lately but still a few mars bar size for the flatties :biggrin2: A mate go a 30lb jew and flint n steel the other day on a livie! You better check that spot out while your up there :thumbup: Squid are definitely at West head but not all the time. Barrenjoey and mackerel beach hold a few too.

Cheers, Tom

Thx for the response, ill be putting the boat in at brooklyn next to the f3 bridge and fishing down stream, round the rail bridge, juno point or flint n steel. i am will to travel to get the mullet tho if need be.

Thx for the response, ill be putting the boat in at brooklyn next to the f3 bridge and fishing down stream, round the rail bridge, juno point or flint n steel. i am will to travel to get the mullet tho if need be.

Ok then. Places to look are around the mouth of mooney mooney and mullet creeks. Just either on the flats or right next to them. Patonga is worth a look aswell. The creek has a few in its shallow parts. While you put the trap out you can fish for them with a size 12 hook and tiny float. Good fun! Basically any flats willdo for the mullet but sometimes you have to move around to find them. Don't forget the yakkas though, plenty of them atm.. especially early morning and late arvo!

Cheers, Tom

Sounds like a great weekend for you! I am a devoted poddy mullet hunter, but after trying 3 times some years ago have never caught them in Winter. Yakka reliable at West Head, but further up maybe harder to locate. Squid are patchy and probably further down Pittwater/West Head area. Lot's of tidal flats up Mooney Mooney way full of plump Winter yabbies......I got a bucketfull last week. Otherwise, go to your best fresh fish store (De Costis or somewhere like that) and buy a whole fresh mullet for a few dollars, and use various sized strips depending on what you are fishing for. I am not a huge fan of servo pillies and prawns.