What a day!

BBR86

Fellow raiders;

Long time reader, pretty much first time poster.

Started off last night... approx 6pm and ended 1am this morning... ahhhhh wait, that wasnt fishing, that was spent at the pub with work boys! So after a few to many beers last night, i decided to call in a sicky. Woke up about 7am ith a thumping headache, stopped at the servo for a pie and a can of coke (hangover cure) Got down to kurnell with some softplastics, flicking around minnows and 3inch silvery gulps. FIRST cast got a massive WHACK!, second, third, firth and so on nothing, i kept flicking to the same spot for about a hour. on about 8:00am BANG! I was on, after a 10minute fight which felt like an hour, i pulled in my FIRST EVER JEW! coming on 87cm on a 3-5kg shimano outfit with 5pound braid, my heart was racing and with no one around to witness it i decided to take a couple of quick pictures then release her for another day. As good a feed and she would have been the colours on it where amazing. a really white silver that looked to have a purple tinge on her top half, had me thinking that this fish was always in clear water, possibly the ocean. Stayed for another hour with 6 flattys ranging from about 30-75cm, kept one at 65 as there in prime form for eating at that size. WHAT A MORNING! I will get some pics up ASAP.

On another note, I saw a guy out on his fishing canoe with foot peddles having a ball on the salmon and kingys, only about 50m off the caltex wharf between the hotwater outlet and the beach. Does anyone know how much these things are? and where its possible to get a decent second hand one? They look like great fun.

Well done mate,

Great way to cure a hangover.

Where did you fish? From the groins I presume.

I live here in .kurnell and often see that guy on the kayak and looked at buying one myself,I have seen them new at BCF for $550 but with a paddle not peddles and on online shop.

Search for fishing kayak as they come with rod holders and bait compartments etc.

Regards

Paddy

Yeah mate the groin on the right side of the caltex wharf. Has produced some cracker flatty sessions there over the years. Cant get the smile off my face after the jew, hearts still racing! Spewing that there around the 2k mark for the peddle yaks... Might be able to find one cheaper with oars i guess?

Well done mate,

Great way to cure a hangover.

Where did you fish? From the groins I presume.

I live here in .kurnell and often see that guy on the kayak and looked at buying one myself,I have seen them new at BCF for $550 but with a paddle not peddles and on online shop.

Search for fishing kayak as they come with rod holders and bait compartments etc.

Regards

Paddy

Yeah mate the groin on the right side of the caltex wharf. Has produced some cracker flatty sessions there over the years. Cant get the smile off my face after the jew, hearts still racing! Spewing that there around the 2k mark for the peddle yaks... Might be able to find one cheaper with oars i guess?

Great work on the jewie mate, If you guys dont mind me asking what are the groins of kurnell? are they the rock walls?

Edited by Spoooled

Fellow raiders;

Long time reader, pretty much first time poster.

Started off last night... approx 6pm and ended 1am this morning... ahhhhh wait, that wasnt fishing, that was spent at the pub with work boys! So after a few to many beers last night, i decided to call in a sicky. Woke up about 7am ith a thumping headache, stopped at the servo for a pie and a can of coke (hangover cure) Got down to kurnell with some softplastics, flicking around minnows and 3inch silvery gulps. FIRST cast got a massive WHACK!, second, third, firth and so on nothing, i kept flicking to the same spot for about a hour. on about 8:00am BANG! I was on, after a 10minute fight which felt like an hour, i pulled in my FIRST EVER JEW! coming on 87cm on a 3-5kg shimano outfit with 5pound braid, my heart was racing and with no one around to witness it i decided to take a couple of quick pictures then release her for another day. As good a feed and she would have been the colours on it where amazing. a really white silver that looked to have a purple tinge on her top half, had me thinking that this fish was always in clear water, possibly the ocean. Stayed for another hour with 6 flattys ranging from about 30-75cm, kept one at 65 as there in prime form for eating at that size. WHAT A MORNING! I will get some pics up ASAP.

On another note, I saw a guy out on his fishing canoe with foot peddles having a ball on the salmon and kingys, only about 50m off the caltex wharf between the hotwater outlet and the beach. Does anyone know how much these things are? and where its possible to get a decent second hand one? They look like great fun.

Hi mate,

firstly, congratulations on your first jewie! Great way to break your duck :thumbup: Well done on releasing him as well! As good as they are to eat i always put them back :biggrin2: The fishing kayaks you mentioned can really vary in price. Sounds like a hobie kayak based on the fact it had foot pedals. Most of them are between 2k and 3.5k. Just ordered the new Pro Angler from Hobie. Set me back $3350 but it'll be worth it!

Cheers, Tom