Saragosa 14000

trentarena89

Hey all

Looking for some info on this reel.

I'm looking at using it for poppers/sticks off the stones. Firstly has anyone got this rod/used it and how does it hold up?Also, I'm looking for a rod to go with it if anyone could give me some ideas that would be great.

like I said I'm going to be using it from the stones so something with a long cast range and reliable. I don't really want to spend more than around 250-300.

Thanks guys any info would be great

Edit- Does anyone have any experience with the Wilson Live Fibres? That is the rod I'm currently looking at

Edited by trentarena89

Don't have one personally but a mate does and loves it. Uses it for jigging, casting big poppers/stickbaits and caught small marlin (60kg) using it! Certainly a strong reel and is perfect for what you mentioned. When your fishing off the stones you need plenty of power to stop kings and that running you into the reef. This reel should do the job. I reckon match it up with a Silstar Crystal Blue Powertip of some sort. Wouldn't go lighter than 15-20kg on the rod though.

Cheers, Tom

Don't have one personally but a mate does and loves it. Uses it for jigging, casting big poppers/stickbaits and caught small marlin (60kg) using it! Certainly a strong reel and is perfect for what you mentioned. When your fishing off the stones you need plenty of power to stop kings and that running you into the reef. This reel should do the job. I reckon match it up with a Silstar Crystal Blue Powertip of some sort. Wouldn't go lighter than 15-20kg on the rod though.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the reply.

SOunds like this reel will be worth it. Regarding that rod, I just did a quick search, couldnt find a rod bigger than 6ft, do they come any bigger? I was thinking 8-9ft, just due to the ledges I fish are pretty high

Thanks for the reply.

SOunds like this reel will be worth it. Regarding that rod, I just did a quick search, couldnt find a rod bigger than 6ft, do they come any bigger? I was thinking 8-9ft, just due to the ledges I fish are pretty high

Go for an 18000 fit more line on the deeper spool is the onli difference

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry mate, completely forgot about the land-based use of it! :wacko: Maybe have a look at the shimano terez 20-50lb rod. Its 8 foot and looks like it would go well with the saragosa. Definitely worth upgrading to a 1800 to as previously mentioned. Might be worth popping into your local tackle store and asking them about suitable rods.

Cheers, Tom

Sorry mate, completely forgot about the land-based use of it! :wacko: Maybe have a look at the shimano terez 20-50lb rod. Its 8 foot and looks like it would go well with the saragosa. Definitely worth upgrading to a 1800 to as previously mentioned. Might be worth popping into your local tackle store and asking them about suitable rods.

Cheers, Tom

Cheers mate all good ha ha. Yeah I was looking at that or the new line of Live Fibres by Wilson. Yeah planning on going in this week, just wanted a brief idea so I didn't go in blind.

and yeah will definitely get the 18000. the extra line is always welcome.

Cheers mate all good ha ha. Yeah I was looking at that or the new line of Live Fibres by Wilson. Yeah planning on going in this week, just wanted a brief idea so I didn't go in blind.

and yeah will definitely get the 18000. the extra line is always welcome.

Can I recommend waiting another month and a half to 2 months for the new shimano t curve revolution series of rods . They are bringing out 10ft 12ft and 13 ft rods at 20kg each so a 10 foot will suit your fishing otherwise I currently hav a gt special to chuck poppers on my saragosa but I don't get to do it too often

Can I recommend waiting another month and a half to 2 months for the new shimano t curve revolution series of rods . They are bringing out 10ft 12ft and 13 ft rods at 20kg each so a 10 foot will suit your fishing otherwise I currently hav a gt special to chuck poppers on my saragosa but I don't get to do it too often

Thanks mate, I might wait the extra time, those rods sound the goods! cheers for the info

I've got an 18000 saragosa spooled with 50lb braid which I use for downrigging, popping and lobbing out big baits. Awesome reel.off the rocks I usually match it with my 9 foot 20-40lb azusa, its my favorite rod out of 20 odd rods I own. Definitely worth a look.

I've got an 18000 saragosa spooled with 50lb braid which I use for downrigging, popping and lobbing out big baits. Awesome reel.off the rocks I usually match it with my 9 foot 20-40lb azusa, its my favorite rod out of 20 odd rods I own. Definitely worth a look.

thanks for that mate, I'll check it out