Squid...where are they?

ssantoro

Hi Raiders

Unfortunately I'm a land based fisherman and I recently decided to master the art of catching squid, it's all part of the grand plan to catch Kingies & Jewies. Anyway I've been working the coastline around Bare Island, Malabar and some of the bays around the harbour, and all I've got is a big fat doughnut. It's also getting expensive to constantly top up my jigs, which always seem to get snagged :ranting2:

I'm using many different types of jig colours, sizes and retrieval methods, the only joy I'm getting is pulling the kelp off my barbs...because that tells me I'm at least in the right area.

I would love some tips, locations or even a squdding session with a pro who can help me crack this!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

ExtremeT

Hi Raiders

Unfortunately I'm a land based fisherman and I recently decided to master the art of catching squid, it's all part of the grand plan to catch Kingies & Jewies. Anyway I've been working the coastline around Bare Island, Malabar and some of the bays around the harbour, and all I've got is a big fat doughnut. It's also getting expensive to constantly top up my jigs, which always seem to get snagged :ranting2:

I'm using many different types of jig colours, sizes and retrieval methods, the only joy I'm getting is pulling the kelp off my barbs...because that tells me I'm at least in the right area.

I would love some tips, locations or even a squdding session with a pro who can help me crack this!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

ExtremeT

head to areas around mosman, the spit, balmoral, clifton gardens, even wharfs near harbour bridge do well. when fishing new areas i use 10lb fluro so i can get an idea of the snags and if i do get snagged have a better chance pulling it out.

head to areas around mosman, the spit, balmoral, clifton gardens, even wharfs near harbour bridge do well. when fishing new areas i use 10lb fluro so i can get an idea of the snags and if i do get snagged have a better chance pulling it out.

cheers mate

Yeah I know it's been tough I've lost a squid jig too! To some sand bags at watsons bay, but I have been catching a lot of cuttlefish fish yes the alien looking squids cousin! I've frozen them for my next jewie session. Mate try watsons bay or next Luna park at kirribili wharf try the 1.8-2.0 grm jigs in bright orange or pink colours with glow in the strip on its belly,yo zuri brand always works for me. let it sink down and give it a couple of gentle twitches every couple of minutes and retrieve slowly once you feel weight, oh another tip is try some s-factor (comes in a tube with the squidgy pro range soft plastics) on your squid jig hope this helps let me know how you go. And remember persistence pays off they are there. Also try using 12 pound leader berkley vanish fluro will help reduce lost jigs if your going to light

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Yeah I know it's been tough I've lost a squid jig too! To some sand bags at watsons bay, but I have been catching a lot of cuttlefish fish yes the alien looking squids cousin! I've frozen them for my next jewie session. Mate try watsons bay or next Luna park at kirribili wharf try the 1.8-2.0 grm jigs in bright orange or pink colours with glow in the strip on its belly,yo zuri brand always works for me. let it sink down and give it a couple of gentle twitches every couple of minutes and retrieve slowly once you feel weight, oh another tip is try some s-factor (comes in a tube with the squidgy pro range soft plastics) on your squid jig hope this helps let me know how you go. And remember persistence pays off they are there. Also try using 12 pound leader berkley vanish fluro will help reduce lost jigs if your going to light

Tight lines,

Shakeel

where in Watsons bay do you squid? I fish off the wharf most times. I see...I cast out, let it hit the bottom and twich...reel in the slack, let hit the bottom, then twitch. sounds like I'm going too fast...right?

Balmoral has a few. The key is late afternoon or early morning. The squid gather around the wharf at these times thus making it the best time to target them here. I'm sure its not "legal" but if you head down on dusk and no one is swimming in the enclosure, have a few casts within the netted area. Done it a few times and come up with a few nice ones! If there's people around then maybe not but the wharf in general is good at this time as well!

Cheers, Tom

where in Watsons bay do you squid? I fish off the wharf most times. I see...I cast out, let it hit the bottom and twich...reel in the slack, let hit the bottom, then twitch. sounds like I'm going too fast...right?

You're doing the right thing, just slow it down and leave pauses. I got a few last night in the area you mention, all of them on the pause after twitching/jigging or pausing during a slow roll back.

1. Off the wharf next to the first set of steps going into the water cast out as far as you can.

2. I usually have out two rods one with bait for fish and on my other rod with a squid jig. I have caught most of my squid/ cuttlefish when I have been having a smoke and the jig is just wafting through the water column be careful to not let it hit the bottom if there are snags there. Just gently wind in a little by little. See watsons bay isn't too deep so a smaller squid jig stays in the strike zone longer than say a bigger one which will have a faster sink rate. Also check the barbs to see iF any weed or debris has fouled it up make sure you remove these so hooks are clean. Egi is hit and miss sometimes I get 2-3 squids sometimes only 1 or none! But the trick is having the jig in the water.

Tight lines,

Shakeel

yea balmoral has been doing quite well. its under construction now, but i usually casting from the fishing wharf down the side of the wharf towards the shore. theres a weed bed in the shallows, then an edge, then another weed bed, plus the structure of the wharf. ideal for squid. managed to get 6 last week, all from shallows over weed beds. also got a huge octopus which i thought was going to be the world record squid cus of its weight. but it was an occy :(

yea balmoral has been doing quite well. its under construction now, but i usually casting from the fishing wharf down the side of the wharf towards the shore. theres a weed bed in the shallows, then an edge, then another weed bed, plus the structure of the wharf. ideal for squid. managed to get 6 last week, all from shallows over weed beds. also got a huge octopus which i thought was going to be the world record squid cus of its weight. but it was an occy :(

Are Occy good for bait?

For shore based Squid'en I reckon the Hacking system wins hands down. The Harbour wharves used to be really good but have faded a lot lately. Clifton Gardens used to be a gun spot, but my last few tries down there has resulted in one baby Arrow Squid.

Conversely, spots on the Hacking seem to always produce a few nice Calamari Squid.

Cheers

Windy

Is the actual wharf under construction? Does this mean no fishing on it for now??

Are Occy good for bait?

Definitely mate! Some old timers rate it as good as squid for jews. The tentacles are the best part. Good bream on it too!

Is the actual wharf under construction? Does this mean no fishing on it for now??

Definitely mate! Some old timers rate it as good as squid for jews. The tentacles are the best part. Good bream on it too!

Always catch them but always put back never use them for bait. Might have to try it one time.

Always catch them but always put back never use them for bait. Might have to try it one time.

Similar situation as above. Got one last night.

Anyone know how to quickly and humanely kill an octopus? Seem heaps harder to deal with than a squid.

Similar situation as above. Got one last night.

Anyone know how to quickly and humanely kill an octopus? Seem heaps harder to deal with than a squid.

yes tell it a joke and it might die laughing.

But seriously I've seen these squid spikes you can get to dispatch squid I wonder if they work on occy, bastard of a thing to kill I wrestled one at watsons last year it was like the terminator kept comming back to life!

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Edited by 1 last cast

[quote name='Nibbles' timestamp='1343710598' post='452293'

Yeah mate, the best way to kill an occy is to basically turn his head inside out.

doing the right thing mate , you mentioned you want to master the art of squidding. This wont happen over night and yes you may lose alot of jigs but once you catch one you wil never forget the feeling especially if u land one that peels drag off your reel. Keep at it over sand grassy kelpy areas and you will not only hit the jackpot with the squid u will also hit the jackpot with your species fishing.

Remember 90 percent of the time goes into preparation and bait gathering to reap the rewards, those who give up easily on the squidding will never get anywhere.

Edited by twin1

The best way to deal with an occy is to put it in a plastic bag squeeze the air out and tie it tight. If you get all the air out they're gone in 30 seconds and no wrestling with them except maybe getting them in the bag.

Thanks everyone, I've found the info very helpful. Went to Watsons Bay this arvo and really enjoyed myself, didn't lose any jigs....but I did lose my first squid about 3 meters from the wharf :05:

I don't care too much about the loss, because I know I'm getting closer to cracking this squid code :biggrin2:

Tight lines raiders!

It seems Oz have yet to discover the fine delicacy of occy :)

Oh flattyfinder I'm up for a squid hunting if you're up for it.

I've been squidding the northern beaches but they have failed me miserably for 1 year :( :(

Would love for you to show me around.

Hi raiders I just pulled out 8 squid from Clifton they were all arrows which I don't normally catch , no size about them but great size for bait

Lately well in the last 2 Weeks I haven't found any southern's in the usual North harbour spots and I've moved around and used all different colours and sizes.

In the last 10 minutes I used a big cheap 3.5 white fluro as I caught 1 right on the bottom and as I was reeling it in 4 others came up so it was quick work lifting on deck unhooking and throw it back in and scored all for of them, just goes to show that when there feeding that'll eat whatever's around

Tight lines

Edited by Quicksticks