A couple of Reds

boattart

After last weeks wild winds quickly turning to some great weather I decided to try for some Reds. A few calls Monday quickly arranged crew and planned to head south early Tuesday. As we rounded Jibbon we were confronted with 15-20knot Sou Wester and not pleasant at all so stuck close to the cliffs and worked a few areas gradually south throughout the morning until about 9.30 when a toss of a coin decision wether to keep heading south or return to Bate Bay was made. It was a close call but we persisted south for another 1/2 hour when the wind dropped to nothing and started to glass out. You would believen't how quick it improved. The frirst area produce a heap of Barracouta and some big Sargent Baker and while they are Red they weren't the target. After a couple of moves and more couta we managed our first real Red around 11.00 followed by 2 more that drift and continued to work that area for the next 3 hours getting a fish every 1/2 hour or so. We ended the day with 8 fish to 75cm.

post-12518-032699100 1345153623_thumb.jpgpost-12518-071963700 1345153636_thumb.jpg

It was a long day at work Wednesday looking out at the weather and it quickly became clear it would be a shame to work 2 days in a row so Thursday was declared a fishing day as well. As with Tuesday when we turned around Jibbon we were greated by 15knot Sou Wester again but slugged our way south hoping for the wind to drop like Tuesday which it did on right on cue. The later start and slow trip meant we didn't start fishing till around 10.00am but mangaged 6 fish in the first hour and started to think about how many we might be in store for. Like all things in fishing you should never get too far ahead of yourself and our next fish didn't come till after 2.00 in the afternoon although a brief tussle with a Mako on a big floating bait adds some fun.

post-12518-093466300 1345154677_thumb.jpg

So today I sit pondering which days to fish next week and have decided a new interpretation from the Seabreeze site. Apartly red arrows now mean I need to go Red fishing.

That's awsome buddy ! Where u fishing with lee .. I'm heading out Sunday if wind backs off

Nick

Barcrusher 610î‡

Sort of Nick. Lee fish with me on my boat. Got something on Sunday arvo but might take the kids for an early fish closer to home but looking at Seabreeze I see red arrows Monday and Tuesday so can't see much work being done early in the week.

Edited by boattart

Next week looks good ! I can only go out on Sunday ! But in couple weeks taking boat up coffs harbour .. Are u part of a fishing club I want join a club

Nick

Barcrusher 610î‡

GDay Nick,

Yes I have been a member of Botany Bay Game Fiahing Club for over 25 years and recently also joined Port Hacking as I am keeping my boat at Cronulla so thought I'd do the right thing and Port Hacking GFC and the RMYC. Both have great facilities. Although the St George MBC ramp is probably a bit better for bigger boats and a bit cheaper. Certainly worth you having a look.

Thats a good effort! Well done. :thumbup: Were they all taken on baits or lures?

How far south did the action start and roughly how far off the cliffs and depth did you get em? (if you dont mind sharing...) :unsure:

Got a few fish on baits 2 of 8 on tuesday and 3 of 7 on thursday down south around Stanwell fishing btween 30 and 50 metres. Not so much as a particular spot but a general area. Just drift around and keep an eye on the sounder.

Nice reds mate,

I just noticed ur secret weapon ! Them xxxx lures in the bait bucket - :beersmile:

You ever need a fishin buddy mid week let me know as I tend to be off mid week a lot being a shift worker.

Regards,

Paddy

Nice reds mate,

I just noticed ur secret weapon ! Them xxxx lures in the bait bucket - :beersmile:

You ever need a fishin buddy mid week let me know as I tend to be off mid week a lot being a shift worker.

Regards,

Paddy

I should have hidden the secret weapon better in the background. I hope to spend a fair bit of midweek time out the coming months so I'll keep you informed.