Saturday night at little manly cove

Benji-martin

Hey everyone,

Hit little manly on Saturday night chasing tailor and what ever could be on the bottom. Arrived about 9:50pm. had prawns pilchards and squid for bait. My mate who I was with got his line out first and straight away on to little snapper. I got my float out hoping for some tailor. Got a kind out on the bottom and over the next hour we got 5 small snapper and a flounder which went 32cm which we kept. About 11:30 two other mates rocked up and brought snags for the free BBQ there. I rigged up some rods for them. One of my mates hooked on to something huge and we all watched as the 15lb braid disappeared. Eventually the fish snapped off. We are thinking wow what the hell was that. I re rigged up the rod and gave it to my mate. It was in the water all of 10min when the same thing happened. I don't have a clue what it was but it looked huge. The next few hours we caught 10 barracouta. Pretty sure that's what they I didn't have a camera and my phone had died. I don't know much about them but they have some serious teeth. They were all taken under floats targeted for tailor. All went quiet for s little bit with a few small snapper and some more flounder. Eventually one of the rods went off which had a whole squid and brought in a 1m port jackson shark. About this tone the wind picked up and everything stopped. We stuck it out till morning to see if any salmon would appear but nothing do went home.

Martin

Yeh its a great spot Martin.

I think you'll find they were pike. They generally come on strong around there. try one for a live bait. My mate chewy and I have caught some great kings on live pike. Just try and keep the scales on them when you catch them as they die a lot quicker if they lose a lot of scales. Just one hook through the tail area.

Andre

Hey everyone,

Hit little manly on Saturday night chasing tailor and what ever could be on the bottom. Arrived about 9:50pm. had prawns pilchards and squid for bait. My mate who I was with got his line out first and straight away on to little snapper. I got my float out hoping for some tailor. Got a kind out on the bottom and over the next hour we got 5 small snapper and a flounder which went 32cm which we kept. About 11:30 two other mates rocked up and brought snags for the free BBQ there. I rigged up some rods for them. One of my mates hooked on to something huge and we all watched as the 15lb braid disappeared. Eventually the fish snapped off. We are thinking wow what the hell was that. I re rigged up the rod and gave it to my mate. It was in the water all of 10min when the same thing happened. I don't have a clue what it was but it looked huge. The next few hours we caught 10 barracouta. Pretty sure that's what they I didn't have a camera and my phone had died. I don't know much about them but they have some serious teeth. They were all taken under floats targeted for tailor. All went quiet for s little bit with a few small snapper and some more flounder. Eventually one of the rods went off which had a whole squid and brought in a 1m port jackson shark. About this tone the wind picked up and everything stopped. We stuck it out till morning to see if any salmon would appear but nothing do went home.

Martin

Yeh its a great spot Martin.

I think you'll find they were pike. They generally come on strong around there. try one for a live bait. My mate chewy and I have caught some great kings on live pike. Just try and keep the scales on them when you catch them as they die a lot quicker if they lose a lot of scales. Just one hook through the tail area.

Andre

hey mate,

I have caught plenty of pike and these were defiantly not pike. I looked through this book I have and came to the conclusion

Martin

Shame about being busted up.

They sound like barracuda.

I've had nights in the boat years ago in that area & had the screen blacked

out on the sounder from top to bottom with them.

They can get that bad that you have to move to get away from them.

Cheers,

Grant.

Bad luck mate! Never know, could've been a jew.. Best bet is oversized ray or maybe a bronzie.. Chuck one of the barracouta out live if they arent big like the one in the above pic.. Might be wrong though as im not sure of the legal sizes.. Might get something special on it though :thumbup: