Quiet 4 strokes

locodave

Hi, noise is very relevant to hulls and all clean engines are on par in terms of noise with some engines being quieter at low speed while that same engine at cruising speed is revving harder than some other brands so they are noiser. Out of all the engines I have used, and trust me I have run them all, the quietest engine is the I-6 Verado especially at idle while at cruising speed, due to their torque, the brand we like are quieter than many 4-Strokes I have driven due to revving less and this company is the only brand of engine that list the dB readings are as per the ICOMIA duty cycle so perhaps ask some other brands to tell you what their engines are and if you tell us what HP you are interested in I can list what the engine I like is. Yamaha are no different to all 4-Strokes so go for a run in one and on some boats at higher RPM they can have a real drone to them and they all sound very "busy".

Cheers,

Huey.

PS-if you want to, send me your email address and I can send you a short video I took last week of a new rig we have set up showing you the noise of this engine at idle and I think it will be hard to find a quieter engine because as you will see you hear more wind and water noise than outboard noise in this short video.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Try puting the call out to some raiders that have the size engine your thinking of & try to get a run in there boats to compare. I dont beleive comparing brand new is the way to go as I think they get a bit noisier after they run in.

I run a 150 Honda on an alloy boat & if I was to put the order in again I wouldn't change a thing.

Edited by oz_brett

I reckon all of the new, clean engines are quiet compared to the old 2 strokes.

Slinky runs a 75hp e-tec & it's nice.

I have a 60hp 4 stroke yammie & sometimes turn the key whilst it's idling. Nice. :biggrin2:

Browndog has a 200 yammie 4 stoke on his barcrusher & that is a great donk as well & quiet for it's size.

Swordy has a 50hp Suzuki 4 stroke & it is very quiet as well.

The question is, how quiet is quiet?

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi, Grant makes a very good point abotut noise and to everyone the perception of noise is different as I also said the noise on one hull will be different to the next. As I say to anybody who listens all modern clean tech engines are on par in terms of noise and fuel economy and if you want to split hairs some brands are better at some RPM than the next but if you are going from an old tech dirty engine to any new clean engine you will be very pleased with the noise and "niceness" of the new engine. As to what to buy, buy the engine you like from a dealer that offers a fair price but more importantly knows what they are doing because all these new engines require ALOT more training and skills to rig, prop and service correctly when compared to an old carby engine-gone are the days that any body can work on and rig outboards but unfortunately, and I see it daily, some owners get let down by the dealer and do not get the best out of their new outboard no matter what brand or technology they have.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have a 60hp 4 stroke yammie & sometimes turn the key whilst it's idling. Nice.

Browndog has a 200 yammie 4 stoke on his barcrusher & that is a great donk as well & quiet for it's size.

Swordy has a 50hp Suzuki 4 stroke & it is very quiet as well.

Add Honda 50EFI to that list.

Tuffy