Some Kingy/Squid Advice

josamill

Starting to look forward to November kingfishing in Pittwater.......live baiting and downrigging. I know how fickle squid can be, so may try yakka, but had a thought. How would a small fresh squid from the Sydney Fish markets rate as a downrigged bait? Obviously not up their with a live squid, but I'm not talking the frozen stuff from my local Mobil........fresh stuff that is being sold to eat. Any thoughts welcome.

Don't bother with the bought stuff. 99% of the time the kings/jews won't touch it... Especially in summer when food is more plentiful. Yakkas go okay as a slow-trolled bait and downrigged is fine also. Another effective technique with yakkas is to slowly drift or EXTREMELY slowly troll them unweighted behind the boat. Best in late arvo/early morning when the kings are higher up in the water column. Hit up places like West Head, Barrenjoey Head, Mackerel Beach, Palm beach wharf and Scotland Island and you should find a few. A secret spot of mine is right down near Bayview. The Eastern shoreline opposite bayview almost always produces a few squid for me!

Good luck!

Tom