Hawkesbury Bait

breamie

Hey all,

My brother and I are heading up to the hawkesbury river to give it another crack! we will be mostly trying to target jewies, flathead and bream. My question is does anyone know where we can buy any fresh bait that jewies wont turn there nose up? ie, Squid, yakkas, pillies? ive also heard people have been buying striped tuna, chicken breast and beef steak from woolies etc just wondering if anoyone on here has used these methods and if they actualy work?

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks all!

With bait quality such an important factor on the Jew why not catch your own? its cheaper and at the end of the day it shouldn't take too long to get a bucket full of fresh yakkas together and butterflied they are as good as any bait on the Jew.

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy

The best bait for Jews in the hawkesbury is hawkesbury prawns. Some guys taught me a special way to peel em which make the bait very presentable.

I have seen people land some very big Jews on peeled prawn even though I haven't caught any that size there on prawns most mine are 50-60cm but they are in numbers

The best bait for Jews in the hawkesbury is hawkesbury prawns. Some guys taught me a special way to peel em which make the bait very presentable.

I have seen people land some very big Jews on peeled prawn even though I haven't caught any that size there on prawns most mine are 50-60cm but they are in numbers

Very true about the prawns. You see plenty of reports from the Hawkesbury area with people catching soapies/schoolies on prawns while bream fishing. Poddy Mullet are a good option too. No shortage of them in the Hawkesbury so it makes sense to use them as bait. Unless your fishing Flint n Steel or Juno, I'd forget about yakkas. Squid seems to be left alone once you get past the road bridge too... "Match the hatch" applies very well to the Hawkesbury..

Tom

Very true about the prawns. You see plenty of reports from the Hawkesbury area with people catching soapies/schoolies on prawns while bream fishing. Poddy Mullet are a good option too. No shortage of them in the Hawkesbury so it makes sense to use them as bait. Unless your fishing Flint n Steel or Juno, I'd forget about yakkas. Squid seems to be left alone once you get past the road bridge too... "Match the hatch" applies very well to the Hawkesbury..

Tom

hey mate where abouts is the best spots in the hawkesbury to catch the poddy mullet, i usually put my boat in at the f3 bridge, also the same for squid, ive always been able to find yakkas around west head but never caught squid or poddy mullet.

Are the hawkesbury river prawns just the one you buy from bait shops with that as its name or can you buy them fresh from somewhere?

I've fished the Hawkesbury many times over te years nd have used prawns, phillies, yabbies, pudden, cook gut, Marinated chicken breast & bloodworms.

The best baits I have found to be bloodworms & yabbies. I regularly use marinated breat and have bagged some monstrous bream on this.

The other secret is good berley. I have used wheat, chicken pellets & currently use Stimulate pellet Berley.

Anyway, good luck,The department of war and finances & myself are heading up there for a fish on Sunday.

Tight lines,

Wassa

hey mate where abouts is the best spots in the hawkesbury to catch the poddy mullet, i usually put my boat in at the f3 bridge, also the same for squid, ive always been able to find yakkas around west head but never caught squid or poddy mullet.

Are the hawkesbury river prawns just the one you buy from bait shops with that as its name or can you buy them fresh from somewhere?

All the creeks and sandflats hold them. Around patonga you find a few but the best spots are the shallow flats in mullet and mooney mooney creek. Basically set them in less than a foot of water and burley up a bit. Mangroves are a good starting point too!