Navel Waters Restrictions

davegroves68

Hi Raiders,

I have just moved my boat from a mooring in Pittwater,(Taylors Point by the Navel base), to Middle Harbour.

I am now in the process of exploring a whole new area to fish in and have heard a good squid spot is by the Navel Base HMAS Penguin. My chart has the area marked, but not saying whether it is a prohibited area or not? The area at Taylors Point was no problem to fish there but if someone could clarify the situation, that would be cool.

Also, a few ideas for around Powder Hulk Bay where I am moored would be good. Not so much secret spots but more of a game plan , as I am looking forward to exploring new territory. :biggrin2:

cheers all,

Dave

In any area marked naval waters you may be asked to leave at any time and you must comply. In essence what narks the naval guys is anchoring in naval waters as they have equipment on the seabed - if your on the drift its unlikely anyone will pursue you. The really sensitive areas such as Garden island are heavily monitored and fishing these area's will enjoy a response!

I would NOT recommend to fish or even drift within the naval waters around Penguin at Middle Head. I have several close mates who in charge of the security on this base and you will be severly warned off by them :ranting2: , with police called and possibly a naval patrol vessel called as well. If your lucky a warning will be issued but they, ie the police upon request of the navy have the powers to fine etc.

As much as the water looks good around HMAS Penguin for fish just consider two things, 1. Do you know for fact there arent naval divers in the water, especially when then dont operate by the same rules as commercial divers even whilst training???? AND 2. How much would you be prepared to pay $$$$ to fish it if you are fined, not just warned?

Mark g w you are allowed to fish outside the naval drums of chowder, but not inside them, ie east of the drum at clifton.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg