Deep Creek adventure

GreyNurse

G'day Raiders

With a light breeze forecast and a top temp of 25, I was up at Sparrow's this morning for a session at Deep Creek and perhaps Middle Creek at Narrabeen lake before starting work. Got there just after 6.30 and started throwing a silver blade. I generally walk from the picnic ground, down to the bridge and back again. With the water clear, I started to ask myself where the name Deep Creek came from. Apart from a channel running along the eastern (picnic ground) side of the creek, it's all sand and weed flats. Anyway, I took my time and cast over the flats, around the obvious snags and into the channel itself. Nada! On my last cast with that lure, I put a tad too much into it and lobbed the lure a meter onto the opposite bank, where it snagged one of the reedy, stalky things that grow there. Couldn't extract the lure so I broke off and wound in the slack, uttering a few choice words.

Next lure was a shallow diving hard body modeled after the Rebel Crawdad. Up and down I went for no result. Finally I tied on a TT blade in a light brown/white colour and tried that. Down to the road bridge for no result, other than disturbing a few mullet. As I started back from the road bridge, I put too much on the cast again and snagged the lure in a tree on the opposite bank. Breaking off again, I thought, "Stuff this, I'm going over there and getting at least on of these lures back."

I crossed over the bridge and headed down towards the bank. It was swampy and reedy underfoot, with no clear trail. About half way to the bank a 2 meter red bellied black snake woke up and slithered in front of me. My heart started beating faster than Mark Webber having a steering failure when this thing stopped and faced me, sizing me up! I engaged reverse and quickly made my retreat. Once he considered me no longer a threat, the snake took off towards the creek. Looks like I'm gunna have to find a water craft if I'm ever going to get those lures back. Duzzn't matter!

So there you have it. No fish to report, but if you're ever down Deep Creek way, the bush is alive and well with all the reptiles you can handle. And they're all YOURS!

Cheers,

Nursie

Deep Creeks a strange place to fish.. There are a few nice bream and EP's in there but not always easy to find. The best way to fish it is from a yak though.. Maybe some lightly weighted SP's would be a better option?

Cheers, Tom

You're probably right there, Tom.

And it was going to be my next option but time and the snake drew proceedings to a conclusion. I would love to get a yak. Then I could expand my range and options..... and get those bloody lures back!!!!

Oh, and sorry I didn't get a pic of the snake. I had one or two things on my mind at the time. For anyone's future reference, I'm reliably told that Mona vale Hospital has all the anti-venenes for critter bits. Failing that, see my daughter at Forestville Emergency Vets.

Cheers,

Nursie

Edited by GreyNurse

Not a giant fan of Deep Creek itself, got a couple of EPs and the odd Bream but I find it slow and uninspiring a lot of the time. I normally head down to the mouth of the creek and work the flats there. Some nice Flathead frequent this area and the odd Whiting.

Haven't encountered a serpent though yet!

Cheers

Windy

Tough fishing in Narra creeks these days. Iv'e consistently fished all of the creeks that feed the lake and have caught some real oddities in them over the years. Massive rays used to ball up mullet in sth creek and the place was alive with fish until quite recently. Dont know if polution and sediment has ended them or what but the creeks are not the same. In saying that there is EP's in Deep creek and middle creek but you gotta work for em. There is not a big population so im sad to say i have seen a bloke in a kayak take an EP home that was barely 30cm. Must have been bloody hungry?

See the photo attached of an EP i got recently in Deep creek.. Had nothing to measure him with so wacked the old size 13 foot next to him!post-21604-095651600 1347503824_thumb.jpg

That was a nice entertaining read there Grey Nurse and good on you for getting out there before work :thumbup:

I hope it was a nice relaxing morning session for you anyway, well at least before the encounter.

Hopefully better luck next time and hope you get a few. Maybe the red belly black snake will guard those lures until you can retieve them again.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian