Quiet fishing at beecroft!

dondon

My mates and I headed down to Mermaids Inlet from Sydney today. Was a beautiful day with the sun shining nice and bright. We tried getting there early, but unfortunately only managed to get the first line out at 10 am, with the tide going out :-( We fished till about 5pm without getting a single bite. Sent some slimies out under balloons, used pilchards with and without sinkers, prawns, yakka - all to no avail.

I must say, I cant complain one bit because the ocean was as blue as ever and we caught a glimpse of two seals playing in the water near the rocks. The highlight of the day however, was the huge humpback whale we saw just meters off the rock ledge.

All in all, as always, fishing off the rocks is as awesome as it gets (specially if you're fishing in such a pristine and serene place)

Cheers!!

Don.

Hi Don,

Mermaids is a great spot. I cut my teeth live baiting there many years ago. The biggest kings were always hooked at your feet and the size of them is incredible. Did you catch the slimies on site ?. Also try sending out a dead frigate ( when in season ) or even a dead slimie under a balloon. Hooked and have seen hooked the biggest marlin, tuna and kings on the dead baits for some reason. Good snapper off the northern end of the platform at last light on drifting pillies after berley. We used to catch the slimies and frigates on painted white barrel sinkers with a treble or single hook tied off the back. Also good black fish at times in the gutter at the northern end. Good to see a report from down south.

Paul

On Strike.

Hi Paul,

The slimies were caught earlier at a different spot. That's why it took us almost till 10am to start fishing at mermaids.

You've got me all excited again. I'm gonna be heading down to mermaids this weekend again. Hopefully, I'll be lucky the second time around!

Do you recon it's too early in the season to be fishing Mermaids?? Caught a few decent fish recently in the northern beaches near Newport.

Wooohoooo fishing season is almost here..

Don.

Hi Don,

It is early to fish for pelagics like tuna and the like but I know of big kings being hooked there during the cooler months. There are always big resident Kings around there. I would be targeting species that are around now like your snapper, drummer, groper and Blackfish. I know you can catch all these locally but if you haven't got a big bait or a live one sitting under a float your not in the game. Watch the water temp charts and when that warm water moves in down there get there as soon as you can. Don't forget Pike for live bait. There are heaps of them around there and the kings love them. We also spin a lot using half by quarter metals or slugs. Salmon, bonito, mack tuna , kings etc etc. I also used to fish Eves ravine at Beecroft out past the water tank at Currarong. Not sure if its within the boundary of the marine park down there now but definitely worth a look if its not. Access is a little tricky down the ravine but the warm currents and big fish sweep right past it. Beecroft is a great place with many different options. Keep at it and you'll crack it eventually. If your going back down on the weekend give the snapper a go at last light. unweighted half pillies will do the trick as long as you.ve used some burley towards the northern end.

Paul

On Strike

Thanks for all the info Paul. Will try everything so said and hopefully land myself a decent catch. Thanks again for all the info. Will let you know how I go this time(hopin will have some pics to post as well).

Cheers!

Don.