Tough Day 19/09/2012

joking fish

I ventured to Newport once again to try my luck solo. There was one other angler at the jetty who landed many Red Bream between 5-15cm. The pickers were out there! He left shortly after I arrived. I persisted with my usual method of light gear and ganged pilchards. I thought it was going to be a fruitless day. With about 9 pilchards left and sea gulls attempting to devour my remaing bait I hooked up. The fish wrapped me around the pylon but after some cunning genius I managed to get the fish out of the water (partially). The only problem was it was dangling from the pylon precariously and still caught on the barnacles. (O crap I thought). Even worse the pylon was 1.5 meters from the base of the steps at the foot of the jetty. (Double crap). In the end a cool head prevailed and I mananged with some octopus like stretching to reach over and land the fish in the net. For all my toil and labor I managed a plump 27 cm Bream. It was the only fish I caught all day. I will be back on Saturday for more fishing mayhem.

post-16627-005709500 1348053479_thumb.jpg

hey barcod

Nice bream i got one that was 30cm off salt pan wharf. Can you fish of newport wharf? if so do you catch much there?

thanks

flattiefisher27

There are a few wharfs at Newport, this one you can fish off and I rarely come home empty handed whenever I fish here.

It's near the Arms Hotel. Please try to keep it low key. The wharf is small and I don't want every Tom, Dic and Harry turing up everytime I want to fish.

Then why did you post it on the public forum? Any Tom,Dick and Harry can see what you posted. Next time PM.

Then why did you post it on the public forum? Any Tom,Dick and Harry can see what you posted. Next time PM.

Reason being is I hate to keep secrets, and besides raiders deserve to know where abouts the fish are biting. My only fear is I drive 40 minutes to Newport to find 7-8 people that make the wharf unfishable, I hope you can see where i'm coming from.