Flathead live baiting - rigs

rjc123

Hi raiders,

Keen to have a live mullet out the back while i drift around flicking SP's.. Normally i would use a running ball sinker to a swivel, then 40cm trace to a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook... I have only tried this when stationary and not drifting. Can i use this sort of rig while on the drift? If not can someone suggest a decent rig?

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom,

When im drifting in the boat with poddies, I use a paternoster rig.

2 droppers, one with a gulp jek shad or squidgy pro range flick bat (i think thats what there called) and another dropper (the top dropper) with a live poddie on there.

Dont use the standard dropper or twisted dropper on the poddie if your using heavier leader it wont swim properly, use one of those 3 way swivels.

To mix things up, instead of having 2 droppers, use a heavier jig head as the weight with a good sized soft plastic - killing 2 birds with one stone this way. This method works well when drifting a beach behind the waves.

Hope this helps : )

Hi Tom,

When im drifting in the boat with poddies, I use a paternoster rig.

2 droppers, one with a gulp jek shad or squidgy pro range flick bat (i think thats what there called) and another dropper (the top dropper) with a live poddie on there.

Dont use the standard dropper or twisted dropper on the poddie if your using heavier leader it wont swim properly, use one of those 3 way swivels.

To mix things up, instead of having 2 droppers, use a heavier jig head as the weight with a good sized soft plastic - killing 2 birds with one stone this way. This method works well when drifting a beach behind the waves.

Hope this helps : )

Thanks Stan! Looks good :thumbup: I have both jerkshads (5 and 7") and flickbaits (110mm) so will certainly try this out!