Where Are they In Winter?

josamill

For every hour of fishing, I reckon I spend 5 hours thinking and reading about it......guess i'm addicted!

Here are 2 quotes from fishing mags/websites I have read in recent weeks relating to bream and flathead.

"Blades are a great way to get into the strike zone, especially in Winter when fish are hiding out in the deeper holes"

"Don't overlook the flats in Winter. Fish are drawn to the warmer water in the shallows"

I have been trying both lately without luck!

What do other raiders think?

u3edy8u4.jpgOmg I thought it was only me, but yeah I did manage 1 flatty last week of the beach, but I lost so many vibes to snags!!! Well spring is here I will be getting stuck into it more

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Edited by 1 last cast

For every hour of fishing, I reckon I spend 5 hours thinking and reading about it......guess i'm addicted!

Here are 2 quotes from fishing mags/websites I have read in recent weeks relating to bream and flathead.

"Blades are a great way to get into the strike zone, especially in Winter when fish are hiding out in the deeper holes"

"Don't overlook the flats in Winter. Fish are drawn to the warmer water in the shallows"

I have been trying both lately without luck!

What do other raiders think?

I am in the same boat as you, always reading mags and checking reports.

I managed a nice bream on a vibe off the flats in Kogragh Bay a couple of weeks ago.

Matt

hanu4ysu.jpgBy the way guys it was a long time comming but damn that flatty tasted good all 42 s of it hehehe,

I reckon us poor blokes with "anglers disease" suffer from this condition we spend way too much time reading and planning our fishing adventures and not enough time actually out there catching the fish. I have so many fishing mags at home I don't know where to put them all!!! All my non fisho mates think I'm mental! If only they knew how much fun it is! And the thrill of catching that huge Lizard( if I can find one)... For now I'll just dream about it until the long weekend. Can't wait! Good luck fisher people!

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Edited by 1 last cast

During Winter its all about putting time in. You have to work harder for your fish and try different things. One thing i would get from those quotes is to fish the flats in the middle of the day (if the fish are gonna sunbake its the best time to do it..) and in the early morning and late afternoon fish the vibes in deeper areas. Makes sense to me and in a way is what i do. I often switch to a mix of bait and lures in winter. I managed to find a few gun spots in middle harbour (peaked late june/early july). At the main spot, I'd just fish unweighted baits for a few minutes to get the fish on the bite (caught bream, tailor and trevally) before switching back to lightly weighted SP's. It worked! Especially on the tailor as well as a few legal bream and one trevally. I have never had luck on flatties in winter on SP, only bait. Something to consider.. This time of year the flatties are waking up so get out there, fish hard and you'll get some results!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Monday morning am planning our first kingy downrigging session of the season in Pittwater. Not overly confident but we'll give it a bash for an hour or two. Then I notice a high tide at around 9am, so will hit the flats with some blades and plastics......gotta watch 2 grand finals before that. Re the flats versus deeper sections in Winter, if they bake in the shallows mid day and spend dusk, dawn and nights down deep....they are going from 14c to 22c.....could make more sense to hit the warmer water during cooler times of the day? I'll ask one of the fish I catch on Monday.

Me n my mate have been pulling lots of nice fatties and whiting out this winter. Not so many big breams but plenty of just under/ just over breams all on blades

The trick with fishing blade is if your not getting snagged every now n again ur not fishing the right spot.

It's very easy when fishing blades for people to just look for a spot with a flat bottom and no structure. But it's same as any other lures work it on structure and yes it can get pricey with decent blade prices at 16-20 bucks a pop but it's up to you if you want to risk it for the biscuit.