Boat info

elferoz777

HI guys

I have been toying with the idea of buying a small boat though I am pretty green when it comes to boats in general.

I was put off the idea when a mate of mine told me how much it cost him to putt around all morning though in saying the I am quite sure the size of the boat and the way he hammers it doesn't help much.

I essentially want something that could support 3-4 ppl max and would mostly be using it around the Wollongong beaches and lake Illawarra.

Any one have any suggestions on types?

Also are they all really costy to run?

Any info would be great as it will help me determine whether or not I will follow through to purchase.

Thanks

El Feroz

Hi El Feroz, the question you have put forward is like asking how long is a piece of string. You can get away with a different boat on Lake Illawarra then what you can off the beaches. Running cost would also be dependant on what size boat, type of motor, etc.

As far as costly to run it depends on your situation. A person who owns a 50ft game fishing boat would not think a 90hp 5 metre boat costly to run but a person who operates a 3 metre boat with a 15hp motor might think the opposite.

My 4.75m tinnie with a 60hp 4 stroke uses about 13 litres give or take for a day out. Most of that is estuary running though, but I cover about 20-25 kilometres a day and I'm not light on the throttle most of the time.

If you're new to boats I'd suggest heading outside any great distance will be something you'd want to take slow while you gain boating skills. I've had mine 2 years and I still won't venture far from the heads.