Luderick on fly

stormy

Went out this morning to try for a few blackfish on 'unconventional' fly gear. Really, it was just my usual setup of Pacific Composites blackfish rod, Avon Royal reel, 12lb Wax Dango mainline and 4lb Schneider flourocarbon leader to which was attached a green and gold weed fly suspended under a stem float. :)

Walked out to the coast in the RNP, arriving at the site at 6.30am. The forecast was for 1.3ft swell, but turned out to be three times that and too dangerous to fish in the rising tide. A forty minute walk back and decided to fish enclosed waters. Wash was looking fantastic and water was oxygenated and not its usual crystal clear. I ended up landing four very feisty fish between 38cm and 40cms as well as dropping four as they surged around in the wash, waiting for a swell to lift them over the lip of the ledge. The last fish destroyed my last fly so until I can get some more, it is back to weed and cabbage. The fish were definately not feeding hard and the takes were gradual downs, but they didn't let go of the fly. All fish were lip hooked.

My mate John (Whispering Jack) caught one on cabbage and a cocky on cabbage, so flies won out today. Now if I can only encourage my mate to tie a few more for me.......

fly.jpg

fly2.jpg

Guest hawkesbass

NOT BAD STORMY GOT A FEW LUDERICK AROUND YOUR LOCAL WATERS ON MONDAY TOOK AWHILE TO GET EM BITING BUT PERSISTENCE WON OUT

Great fly blackies mate, I fish with a guy at Avoca that fly fishes for them too he's been doing it for a long time, quite a different approach to catching blackies but very effective..

Good onya mate, congrats.. :thumbup: